Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP x2 - 10-p020nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

Because of the main storage soldered directly to the main-board, I'm trying to find out what are the specs of the Micro SD slot available in this notebook/detachable, so i can figure out how much i can spend for a memory to expand the internal storage.

Specs sheet in the HP site doesn't help me out:

• Micro SD cardsSlot
  • Push-push socket: Up to 2 TB by OS
  • Support SD 3.0

I need to know what controller is installed and so how much bandwidth it can withstand and if it is shared across other ports (usb type C / usb 3.1)

By looking at the property under windows, i can see this:

• Generic 00000 SD Card

and nothing more.

You will probably understand this question a little more by looking at the price of MicroSD memories (128GB range from 25€ to 80€ depending on Bus Speed, Class, Video Speed Class, Application Performance Class, "x" rating and so on)

It's so easy to buy the fastest MicroSD out there (80MB/s seq. | 80MB/s ran.) but be bottlenecked by the controller if it's only capable of 1/3 of the memory speed, and in fact this wil be some nice money thrown away for nothing.

I hope HP taked into account the fact that internal storage is limited by an eMMC with 64GB and so, was able to install a decent MicroSD slot.

Thank you in advance for anyone that can help me sort this out.

Cheers,
Marco

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Aliendex 

Maybe I'm not understanding your question -- but an SD card is not seen as "internal storage"; instead, it is seen as "external storage"  If seen properly by Windows (which might NOT be the case), it will be assigned a drive letter and will be treated the same as plugging in a USB stick or external drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi WAWood,

let me thank you for your time.

I know it will be recognized as an external storage, but considering the limited available space of the internal eMMC storage, i want to install a MicroSD (256/512GB) and treat it like if it will be an "internal storage" without the need to remove it and start by moving apps  (thanks to Win10 app manager) and files/photos/documents to it and free some space in the main drive.

This is the only way to add storage to my computer without using extra ports and bulky portable hdd/sdd through USB-Type C o through USB 3.1 (which btw i need them to attach other devices/cable).

What I mean is, if anyone is able to find out the full specs of the MicroSD slot, like the max theoretical bandwidht that is capable off in this computer.

I have temporarily installed a 32GB MicroSD and run CristalDiskMark hoping to see some nice results, but my MicroSD is too old and capped out at about 40MB/s read - 20MB/s write for sequential operation and 7MB/s read - 2MB/s write in random operation.

Let me try to be more clear with a simple question:
If i buy a MicroSD which is capable of 200MB/s reading and 100MB/s writing, is the computer able to withstand these speed or is it going to bottleneck my fast (and expensive) MicroSD card?

Hope this question clarifies my needs, i'm not native english and sometimes it's hard for me to be understood.

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.