Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j052nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, this is my problem: i replaced the Wireless LAN module with an External GPU adapter, i thought the free Mini PCI-E port my laptop has could detect this new GPU adapter but it didnt, turns out only the Wifi Slot Detects it

i can still use the Ethernet port for internet but i dont want to loose my wifi connection so the questions are:

is this extra Mini PCI-E port really a Mini PCI-E Port or it's just a SSD reserved port? they both looks the same
If so, is there any adapter out there that can let me use this port as a normal Mini PCI-E Port instead of just SSD?
If the awnser is NO, then is there any WiFi Module that could work in that port? (i tried installing my WiFi Module in said port but the System couldnt detect it)

here you can see both ports

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would have bet dollars to donuts against that thing working and still think you are running a risk of damage to the laptop. The wi-fi port is a pci-e 1x and that video card wants at least an 8x lane. But if you are happy with it so am I.

Oh and the mSSD port is a single purpose storage only slot as you have discovered. You will have to get a usb wifi dongle. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

That slot ia doe SSD. This definiteleu won't work with an external GPU. More info:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03733656.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

So is the eGPU working through the wi-fi slot? I would love to see a picture of that. 

HP Recommended

Indeed it actually works, you just need a Mini PCI-E port in your laptop and this External GPU dock: http://www.banggood.com/Mini-PCI-E-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card...

i connected it trought the Wifi port, added a GTX660 GPU to the dock, powered all with a 500W PSU and voila
games now run better than ever, i did this because the HD graphic card integrated in the laptop is basically useless for games 

here are some images, you can find more info about this eGPU solution in the link above 

my question still is: ok this port i have free is only for SSD, there's absolutely no way i can instal anything else there? like and adapter or another WLAN module?

HP Recommended

I would have bet dollars to donuts against that thing working and still think you are running a risk of damage to the laptop. The wi-fi port is a pci-e 1x and that video card wants at least an 8x lane. But if you are happy with it so am I.

Oh and the mSSD port is a single purpose storage only slot as you have discovered. You will have to get a usb wifi dongle. 

HP Recommended

Its great to see that this is running! I have a similar setup Im using an EVGA 500 PSU, EXP GDC V8 and a GTX 770 2GB graphics card. Its powered directly by the PSU (not through the 6PIN Output).  All of this on a HP Folio Elitebook 9470m. When its booting fans spin and green light (on EXP GDC) turns on. But it does not go beyond a black screen and the numlock/capslock blinking. Any help would be appreciated

HP Recommended

have you tryed teathering android phone to computer?

If you have an anroid phone, you can connect to ur home wifi via phone, grab a usb cord, connect to p.c go to settings and turn usb teathering on, easy done wifi without wifi card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.