Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-bs1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to see if I can upgrade my HDD to an SSD, but I need the model no. of my machine. All I can find is 15-bs1xx. I assume the x's are placeholders. How do I find out the complete model no. so I can see which drives are compatible with it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook has an Intel 6th gen core processor or newer, it has a M.2 slot that supports SATA M.2 SSD's only.

Or you can replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the supported drive types...

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493257.pdf

What is the product number of your notebook?

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook has an Intel 6th gen core processor or newer, it has a M.2 slot that supports SATA M.2 SSD's only.

Or you can replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the supported drive types...

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493257.pdf

What is the product number of your notebook?

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thanks so much. It is an i5, so I'll go with the 2.5. Product # is 2MW32UA#ABA.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Below is the link to the product specs for your notebook.

HP Notebook - 15-bs158cl Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It has an Intel 8th gen core processor, so if you want to go with a M.2 SATA SSD, you can do that as well.

HP Recommended

I'm confused. I thought the "5" in i5 referred to 5th generation processor, no?

HP Recommended

Hi:

The first number is the model of the processor (i3, i5, i7).

The generation is the first number of the second part after the dash.

So, i5-8250U...the 8 designates the generation of the processor....8th generation.

I think Intel is up to the 11th generation of core processors now.

HP Recommended

Great, thanks again. Can I ask you something else?

I also have an HP Pavilion that died a couple of years ago but still barely boots. I want to see if it's just the drive by getting an SSD for it too. But the model # in my Win10 system info only says "HP Pavilion Notebook 17 PC", whereas the other one at least gave some numbers.

The System SKU on the Pavilion is e8b90u#aba. I need the model number to see if a new drive would be compatible.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Your HP Pavilion Notebook 17 PC is a HP PAVILION 17-E016DX NOTEBOOK PC.

The product specs are at the link below.

HP Pavilion 17-e016dx Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Below is the link to the service manual.

c04069163.pdf (hp.com)

On this model, your only option would be to replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

Since that model originally came with Windows 8, when you go to reinstall W10 and you get to the part of the installation that asks for a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

HP Recommended

Awesome! Thanks again for the third time. It already has Win10, just not updated in awhile.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.