Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Stream 14-ax010nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. This laptop/notebook (HP Stream 14-ax010nr) doesn't come with a hard drive I can swap out and change/upgrade. It' has a 32GB eMMC. However, it has a M.2 PCIe interface that comes with a Wifi card by default.

I'd like to use the M.2 PCIe interface to insert an SSD drive. However, I am not sure which one to buy. I know it has to be a M.2 2230 but I don't know which key (B, M or B+M).

I can't find specs for this motherboard anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not going to work. The wireless M.2 port is not able to deal with a mass storage device. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Not going to work. The wireless M.2 port is not able to deal with a mass storage device. 

HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer. Thanks for your prompt response. I wonder where you got this info from. I've been reading about M.2 and it was my impression that I could get another PCIe M.2 form factor device to plug in as an SSD.

The eMMC is 32 GB only which is frustrating because even if I have nothing installed pretty much, I can't install more programs at this point. Would installing the OS on a microSD card be an good option? I'd leave the built-in eMMC as additional storage.

HP Recommended

I might ask where you saw that anyone has ever plugged an M.2 SSD into the wifi slot and had it show up as a bootable drive? On some older models the WWAN slot can double for storage but just not so on these Streams or anything made in the last 6 or 7 years. I kind of wrote the book on storage issues with these things:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-Windows-10-OS-on-an-HP-Stream-with-3...

A microSD card will not be bootable either so you cannot install the OS on it but you can move some folders to it to clear up space on the 32 gig eMMC. 

HP Recommended

Thanks man. There's a video in youtube in which someone claims that that m.2 interface can be used for storage. That's why I got confused. I couldn't find documentation about the motherboard to help me with this.

Thanks for your help. I'll check the other link and try that approach. It's great to have people with you in this community!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.