Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g124na (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

For over 18 months now I have had to use my laptop with the touchpad only because whatever mouse I use (USB wired or wireless) double clicks when all I want is a single click - this makes it unusable. I have struggled on with the touchpad, which I hate, but I have sort of got used to it.

However, I am now experiencing the same issue with my HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-a100na, happening in the last few weeks. I have had this desktop for a number of years and have been using it with a Logitech trackball for almost it's entire life. I now have no option to use a touchpad so it is far more of an issue (i can't open a folder and drag it, for example, because clicking the top of the folder - to drag it - maximizes the folder, exactly like a double click).

Does anyone know if this is a known issue, please?

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Try this fix.

1. Press the Windows key type mouse settings and press Enter.
  2. In the Settings window, under Related settings, click the Additional mouse options link.

2.PNG

1. In the Mouse Properties window, click the Buttons tab, if not already selected.
  2. On the Buttons tab, adjust the slider for the Double-click speed option, then click OK.

3.PNG

1. Test out the double-click speed adjustment to see if that helps resolve the double-clicking issue. Repeat the steps above, if needed, to adjust the setting again.

If the troubleshooting suggestions above do not resolve the issue, the motherboard in your computer may be defective. Problems with capacitors and IC (integrated circuit) chips on the motherboard can cause various types of issues, including mouse double-click issues. A defective motherboard can cause the computer to misinterpret signals from the mouse, resulting in a double-click action despite only pressing the mouse button once.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion. I won't have access to that PC for a couple of days but as soon as I do I will give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Not a problem.

HP Recommended

Apologies for the delay in responding but been having some other problems with this computer: trying to open any folder resulted in the folder "freezing" without displaying any files and needed "explorer" to be stopped in Task Manager - only fixed by re-installing Windows.

As for the trackball issue, I tried your suggestion which seemed initially to help slightly but I'm now also experiencing the problem of sometimes a single click not working. I have done some Googling and other users have suggested that it is probably a problem with the trackball or mouse so I think my next move is to buy a new one! I'll probably try the same "solution" for the laptop mouse I had a problem with some time ago.

Thank you for your suggestion... I'll post the results when I get the new trackball.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.