07-06-2020 03:01 PM
My laptop is often asleep, and whenever it is asleep the fans turn on and off about every three seconds.
The fans usually turn on and off in sync with the blinking light on the power button.
This problem is very annoying for me because whenever I am in the same room as my laptop I have to constantly hear the fans turn on and off. I did a full system scan with Norton Security and the results came back clean.
I have absolutely no idea why this is happening and any help is very much appreciated.
07-09-2020 09:12 AM
Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:
Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating)
To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.
Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.
- To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon .
- Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
- Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
- Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
- Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
- Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.
And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629
Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
I am an HP Employee
07-11-2020 08:57 AM - edited 07-11-2020 08:58 AM
Thanks for the fast reply Echo_Lake!
In the HP Support Assistant it told me that I had an update called: HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI that needed to be installed. I ran the update and it seems that the problem has now gone away!
Many thanks for you help!
07-11-2020 07:47 PM
I think I spoke to soon, the problem seems to have come back. Yesterday the I was monitoring my laptop and I didn't hear the fans when it was asleep, but now it has sadly seemed to come back.
Any further help is appreciated!