Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop PC 14-dv0000 (9WL72AV)

Some time ago I was playing a game with my HP laptop and I put the laptop on my lap. The laptop was about to fall off my lap but I caught it but there was a sudden jolt when I caught it. When the jolt happened the screen flickered black for a bit and then the picture came back but the laptop was unresponsive so I had to force shut down. Also today when I was carrying the laptop I bumped it a bit on my lap and the same thing happened again.

The laptop becoming unresponsive when slightly bumped is not normal. I looked into it and I found out that this is because something in my motherboard could be loose. Which part can cause the screen to flicker black when it's loose?

How can the issue be fixed?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I suggest that you take it either to a laptop sop that has a good reputation or is it is still in warranty, contact HP for repair with  warranty service.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. The warranty of the laptop  expired. I need to know the problem before I take it to a repair shop. As I said, I think that some part on the motherboard is loose. My problem has happened with other people so I need to know what the possible loose parts are. Can the problem be fixed without replacing the motherboard?

HP Recommended

" I need to know the problem before I take it to a repair shop. " You already described the problem in your initial post.

A laptop isn't like a car, it is full of delicate parts. Opening it up without damaging it is a bit of a careful operation. Even the screws are tiny and easily lost.

Unless you plan on taking the risk and opening up the entire enclosure there is no way of knowing what is loose. 

The cause is unlikely to be anything that would require the system board to be replaced.
It is more likely to be a connector that is loose in its header if a bump has such a bad effect, based on your description of the cause and  resulting symptoms.

If you take it to a shop and someone tells you that the system board needs to be replaced, you have very likely gone to a laptop/PC repair shop of ill repute and they see you are a source of income.

Ask friends or family if they know of a shop that they have gotten good service and results from.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

ok good. i know where to take it

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.