Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-BS015DX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Would like to upgrade the NIC card in my laptop 15-BS015DX since the current one is not picking up 5G. 

What card is compatible?

I see numerous comments on the net about ensuring compatibility with HP model before purchasing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @74JB 

The Intel wifi cards require two antennas be attached to them to function properly.  Usually what happens is what is happening to you now, and the Bluetooth doesn't work because there is no reception.

The fact that the intel cards are listed as supported in the service manual is immaterial, because any HP notebook made in the last 4 years that originally came with a single band wireless N card, comes with only one antenna cable, and you can only install one of those Intel wifi cards if one of them originally came with the notebook.  In those cases, there would have been two antenna cables.

So, you have three choices besides living with what you have now...

1. You can install the second antenna the right way by purchasing the antenna kit listed in chapter 3 of the service manual for your notebook, and properly route the second antenna.  This would require taking apart the entire notebook including the display panel area.  The procedure to do this is in chapter 6 of the service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493257

2. You can install a second antenna, and route it so that no metal touches the motherboard.  It won't work as good, but it would be better than what you have now.

3. You can remove the Intel wifi card, and install the only AC wifi/Bluetooth card available that works with only one antenna, and that is this one...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported)
HP Part # L17365-005

The card has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS with an AC router on the 5.0 GHz wifi band, and 72 MBPS on the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

The card has been on back order for ages now on the HP parts store site, but you can get one on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

I know I would not want to have to do a complete teardown of the notebook to route a second antenna, but maybe that is no problem for you.  We all have different skill levels and risk tolerances.

Maybe you will want to try just installing an antenna willy-nilly,  and if that works, great.

If it doesn't, then perhaps you would want to try out the Realtek AC wifi card.

If you decide to go with the Realtek card, here is the latest wifi driver for it...

2024.0.9.103/2024.0.4 Jul 18, 2019

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98001-98500/sp98489.exe

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@74JB 

Please use

•   Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11AC 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter (non-vPro) part # 901229-855
  •   Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter part # 863934-855

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I purchased & installed the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11AC 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter (non-vPro) part # 901229-855 and have been using it for several months.

It only intermittently connects to 5G & I don't understand why. I'm sitting here right now connected with 4-bar signal strength for my 5G network. I had to force it to connect otherwise it will connect to the 2.4 at bootup. Once connected at 2.4 most times it doesn't even see/detect the 5G or indicates that the signal strength is at the minimum (1-bar). If it does see it & allows the connection, signal strength immediately jumps to 4-bars. I'm not moving the laptop so I don't get it. I've also taken the laptop into the same room as the router and get the exact same results.

Its not the router because all of my other devices, some in the same room in which I normally use the laptop, connect perfectly fine to 5G and all have strong signal.

I've changed the device properties to select 5ghz as preferred & have ensured I have all of the latest drivers by going to the Intel website.

This laptop only has a single antenna. Is there a possibility that I need to add the second antenna? They are inexpensive & looks like I can find the room to rout it. I've researched every other possibility so I'm back here for advice.

HP Recommended

Hi, @74JB 

The Intel wifi cards require two antennas be attached to them to function properly.  Usually what happens is what is happening to you now, and the Bluetooth doesn't work because there is no reception.

The fact that the intel cards are listed as supported in the service manual is immaterial, because any HP notebook made in the last 4 years that originally came with a single band wireless N card, comes with only one antenna cable, and you can only install one of those Intel wifi cards if one of them originally came with the notebook.  In those cases, there would have been two antenna cables.

So, you have three choices besides living with what you have now...

1. You can install the second antenna the right way by purchasing the antenna kit listed in chapter 3 of the service manual for your notebook, and properly route the second antenna.  This would require taking apart the entire notebook including the display panel area.  The procedure to do this is in chapter 6 of the service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493257

2. You can install a second antenna, and route it so that no metal touches the motherboard.  It won't work as good, but it would be better than what you have now.

3. You can remove the Intel wifi card, and install the only AC wifi/Bluetooth card available that works with only one antenna, and that is this one...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported)
HP Part # L17365-005

The card has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS with an AC router on the 5.0 GHz wifi band, and 72 MBPS on the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

The card has been on back order for ages now on the HP parts store site, but you can get one on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

I know I would not want to have to do a complete teardown of the notebook to route a second antenna, but maybe that is no problem for you.  We all have different skill levels and risk tolerances.

Maybe you will want to try just installing an antenna willy-nilly,  and if that works, great.

If it doesn't, then perhaps you would want to try out the Realtek AC wifi card.

If you decide to go with the Realtek card, here is the latest wifi driver for it...

2024.0.9.103/2024.0.4 Jul 18, 2019

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98001-98500/sp98489.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Paul! 

Wow, not what I was hoping for but thanks for providing the complete story. Guess I'm leaning towards option-3, the single antenna card as I don't really want to do a complete teardown. I'm pretty good with my hands but with my luck of late, I'll trash the touch screen.

One follow-up question; my speed tests are currently all over the board & at times pretty pathetic even when connected to what looks to be stable connection at 2G. With this card change-out, would you expect things to stabilize more so than my current situation?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Hopefully, you will get more consistent results with the card designed to work with one antenna.

HP Recommended

Final comment on this topic:

Today I received the Realtek RTL8821CE from eBay & installed it. 5G connection is stable & am picking up all the other devices in my home without issue. Life is good! Best $3 I've ever spent!

2-upgrades to his laptop that made it zoom: This Wi-Fi card and replacing the horrible stock HD with an SSD.

You're the man Paul!

Thanks Again!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance, and thanks for letting us know how the 8821 wifi card worked with your notebook.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.