Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a  Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe Internal SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to 2,400 MB/s - WDS100T2B0C and it is not recognized by my Spectre x360 Convertible 15 either internally installed or externally.

Nothing shows up at all.  I may have purchased the wrong drive.  How can I find out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Absolutely. Just be sure to use a proportional resize when you clone a smaller disk to a larger otherwise you only clone the size of the smaller, source disk and leave a bunch of unused space on the target, larger disk and you may or may not be able to extend the size of the partitions depending on how they are aligned. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogwACNeyz2g

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

An NVME M.2 SSD should be compatible. 

Manual 

In fact, it appears that this is the ONLY type of storage that can be used. So you must have removed the original drive. Can you say what brand and model the original equipment drive was? Also can we have the Product Number or at least identify the processor. The model number you give is generic, covering all models in that series. 

HP Recommended

A talk with Western Digital indicates a faulty drive. I am replacing the original drive, because it won't boot from time-to-time.  I have:

• HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl0XX
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU Z4Z35UAR#ABA
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical
    Serial number: 5CD73699BZ
    Product number:Z4Z35UAR
  • I am trying to upgrade from a Samsung MZVLW512HMJP-000H1 to a Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe Internal SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to 2,400 MB/s - WDS100T2B0C

Running Windows 10 Home  Version 20H2

Thanks for your help on this.

HP Recommended

The Samsung is a stock OEM NMVE M.2 SSD. I know of no reason the WD Blue would not work except its a newer design and chipset. Try seating it again and if the system will just not recognize it there is generally no tweak or update you can apply that will make a difference. ...but I gather WD thinks they sent you a bad one? Rare, but it can happen. 

HP Recommended

I got the new one last night so to make sure I'm getting it right, is there a step-by-step procedure I can look at? 

I'm assuming that:

• Make a usb boot disc
  • make a full ssd image
  • change boot order to usb first
  • remove old drive
  • replace
  • boot
  • restore

HP Recommended

Yes that is how to do it.

HP Recommended

OK, I'll try to get after it today.  Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

I put the drive in a M.2 NVME SSD enclosure (Type C) The drive is not recognized in Windows, but shows up in the Device Manager>

HP Recommended

It is blank. You need to initiate and format and mount it before it shows up as a lettered drive. Use disk management. Do you plan to use it externally or are you going to put it in the laptop?

HP Recommended

It is now recognized and seems to be working as a USB drive.  My plan was to clone the laptop drive to the USB drive and swap the SSD drives, doubling the internal drive memory.  Does that make sense?  After the swap I'm hoping the laptop will boot up and ....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.