Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm going back to the well since my issues with old touch-pad driver were successful.

I have an old (6-7 years) HP Pavilion DM3 notebook. Originally with Win 7 installed. Upgraded to Win-10. 

The keyboard has 3 status LEDs that have not been active since Win-10 upgrade. Caps Lock, Sound On/Off, Scroll Lock.

Device manager indicates the key-board hardware is Standard PS-2 keyboard. I believe the original/actual keyboard is NOT just a standard PS-2 keyboard. I cannot locate a proper driver via the HP sites.

Additionally, the original disk drive recently died and was replaced by a new drive, and so a new issue of Win-10. So no original drivers are available on my local device.

Computer Product # VM211UA#ABA, [serial number removed]

Thanks for any help. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Windows 10 supplies the keyboard driver as long as the system board and chipset are supported by the operating system.

The last OS that was supported for your notebook was Windows 7.  Just because one wants to upgrade to an OS does not mean that it will work. The telltale signs for that for me would have been the keyboard  LED issue.

Your notebook was not given any support or drivers for Windows 10, so no driver for the keyboard is not really a surprise.

I highly recommend that you consider either switching to Linux for your old notebook or sourcing a replacement that is more recent for Windows 10. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response, but it isn't a big enough problem to make me install another OS.

I had a similar problem with my touch-pad drivers and the Win-10 upgrade. HP on this discussioin board, was able to supply the proper driver. 

It seems to me that HP has a proper driver for my piece of hardware somewhere in their archives. I'm not sure why Linux would have a driver available that HP can't supply for the hardware I bought 7 yrs ago that would function properly with Win-10. 

Any other suggestions out there??

HP Recommended

It appears you may not be up to date on operating systems.

Linux is actually much more up to date on providing device drivers for older PCs and notebooks.

You can try many versions of Linux without installing the OS. That is nothing new. It has been the case for at least five years.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

PC and notebook manufacturers do not support hardware by perpetually providing drivers for PCs and notebooks that came to the marketplace in excess of three to five years. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.