Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavillion 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to know my laptop is hp pavillion 17, hp pavilion f210ns , it has 1tb hard drive, i want to install a ssd drive, but i want to know does my laptop has extra slot for ssd sata? i do not want to open for check only it will expire warranty.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

M.2 SSD (SATA & PCIe) is one of rapidly growing SSD market in consumer notebooks recently, due to the fact that it provides very huge overall performance boost. Costlier than 2.5 inch SATA SSD.

2.5 inch SATA SSD is also SSD, which also provides huge performance boost compared to 2.5 inch SATA HDD. So as you can see here you're just taking out HDD and putting in SSD. No need of looking for an extra slot or anything. This is very much costlier than HDD (4-5 times).

I would suggest you go with 2.5 inch SATA SSD, taking out HDD, if you're not satisfied with M.2 capabilities when compared to its cost.

I don't know much about Kingston. But Samsung Evo SSD has been consistently performing well in all my notebooks.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
Hi,

Manual: Page 69, 78, 79
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04511833

Only one 2.5 inch SATA HDD/SSD slot. This is already filled with 1TB HDD, so you can upgrade this to 2 5 inch 7mm thick SATA SSD. Get at least 256gb SSD for recovery USB to successfully reset OS.

You can also put an extra M.2 2280 SATA-3 TLC SSD. Factory reset OS into this. Make this boot drive by changing boot drive from BIOS.

Create Recovery USB before proceeding with any upgrade using HP recovery manager.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, I have purchased Samsung 840 EVO SSD 250 gb, it look slim, and is there any option to install 1 tb + 250 gb ssd ? without removing dvd drive.

Please reply.

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

Please create Recovery USB using HP recovery manager and keep it safely before proceeding.

Yeah, by connecting SSD to laptop using SATA to USB connector, clone hard drive to SSD using Samsung migration tool or Macrium Reflect Free software. Before cloning, you may want to move all personal data, music, video etc to another external drive temporarily so that you can save space in M.2 SSD.

Then take out the hard drive drive. Put in M.2 SATA SSD. Change boot order from BIOS , f10 key save it.

Boot from it. Let it finish loading Windows. Shut down.

Now put in HDD in the 2.5 inch hard drive bay.

Again restart system. Check. You may need to remove boot partition from HDD sometimes.

HP Recommended

How i can check  that i have M.2 Recovery ? i don't think there is available, currently i have reinstalled windows, Please guide me is there any software to check Availibility of Recovery M.2.

and thank you very much tomorrow i will share your post with laptop repairing workshop, they will replace it.

HP Recommended

To clarify:

You cannot put both 2.5 inch SATA SSD & 2.5 inch HDD in your laptop simultaneously without removing DVD drive for that matter. i.e. , No extra 2.5 inch SATA slot in board.

Buy you can put in M.2 2280 form factor SSD in its slot in addition to 2.5 inch HDD already in its bay.

What do you mean by M.2 recovery? I didn't get you.

HP Recommended

Okay sir, But can you just tell me, i do not know about M.2 much, is it same as normal kingston ssd , can we install windows in it and it work faster?

HP Recommended

M.2 SSD (SATA & PCIe) is one of rapidly growing SSD market in consumer notebooks recently, due to the fact that it provides very huge overall performance boost. Costlier than 2.5 inch SATA SSD.

2.5 inch SATA SSD is also SSD, which also provides huge performance boost compared to 2.5 inch SATA HDD. So as you can see here you're just taking out HDD and putting in SSD. No need of looking for an extra slot or anything. This is very much costlier than HDD (4-5 times).

I would suggest you go with 2.5 inch SATA SSD, taking out HDD, if you're not satisfied with M.2 capabilities when compared to its cost.

I don't know much about Kingston. But Samsung Evo SSD has been consistently performing well in all my notebooks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.