Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
XJ612AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've downloaded the HP Pavilion dm1 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide that's supposed to show me how to replace the RTC battery in this laptop. It takes me to page 59 but the photo on that page doesn't even come close to what my laptop looks like. The instructions on page 59 also don't help at all.

The RTC battery in my laptop has a plastic label on it with KTS 111 CR2016 3.0V but it's buried inside what looks like a copper panel that I suspect I DON'T want to remove. How do I replace the RTC battery on this laptop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@GeorgeFN wrote:

RTC batteryIt looks like it might be fairly involved to get to the RTC battery. When you get there it should look like this, and not be too complicated to remove and replace that battery.

I believe the picture above is of your computer.

You will need to first remove:  the battery, service door, keyboard, top cover, and system board.  Your maintenance and service guide should probably have those instructions.

It looks quite a process to get to the battery.  Hope all goes well.

Thanks,

Wow, what a job! I had to tear it down and separate the motherboard from the main plate before I could get to the RTC battery. What takes 5 minutes on a desktop computer required an entire afternoon. If it goes out again, I'm junking this laptop and getting a new one.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

RTC batteryIt looks like it might be fairly involved to get to the RTC battery. When you get there it should look like this, and not be too complicated to remove and replace that battery.

You will need to first remove:  the battery, service door, keyboard, top cover, and system board.  Your maintenance and service guide should probably have those instructions.

Thanks,

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

@GeorgeFN wrote:

Thanks,

Wow, what a job! I had to tear it down and separate the motherboard from the main plate before I could get to the RTC battery. What takes 5 minutes on a desktop computer required an entire afternoon. If it goes out again, I'm junking this laptop and getting a new one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.