Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - 14m-dh1003dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a new laptop. The laptop charges perfectly with the lid closed, but fails to charge when the lid is open and the screen on.  With the lid open, the battery does not drain, but it fails to charge.

Interestingly, I have an older HP laptop that developed the same problem after a Windows 10 upgrade (preview version), so I really suspect this is a software/driver problem rather than a hardware problem.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@buckydoc

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to update the BIOS: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c0004262

Let's also perform a hardware test:

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

Click Extensive Test.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,  

The linked BIOS update page returns an error. Please repost.

HP Recommended

Apologies. Here it is: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I updated the BIOS with no impact.  

When I ran the error utility, I got the following battery error 94MNJ8-9NVA1A-GXGKGK-C0CF03 with verbiage stating it was a fuse problem.

HP Recommended

This error code indicates an issue with the Battery. I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team for a battery replacement.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.