Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All,

I ordered a replacement battery for my 1040 G4 but all 3 new batteries report this error or Blown fuse.

unnamed.png

I ordered the battereies from iFixit and from the first battery I installed had this error and it refused to calibarite on bios then would randomly Hard shut down whether plugged in or on battery.

The computer would also run very very slow, run on AC only and refuse to charge the battery. Only charge if I reset the battery by holding down Power button.

I reached out to iFixit and quickly got a replacement 2nd battery still same error.

Got another replacement 3rd  battery same error.

Only original battery is working, which I realized HP Support assistant/hardware diagnsotics was reporting as weak 27% capacity left but that was with the maximize battery life setting, with that off it jumps to 70% capacity but out of nowhere reports critical battery failure on bios but next day its okay.

All hardware diagnostics show no error with original battery and works fine even holds charge for 3 hrs. 

The weak capacity error on HP support Assintant made me order the replacement  but as you can see below orginal battery is now normal.

hustle1_0-1652527496119.png

iFixit were great and gave me a full refund but I still dont know whats causing this issue? Is it battery or PC or HP software?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you haven't done it already, try updating to the latest BIOS first.

If that fails to resolve the issue, then it is definitely time for your notebook to ho to the shop for repairs.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The Diagnostic error code translates to error code 601.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443470

I recommend that you run the Windows Battery-report and then we can use it as part of the troubleshooting. Have you updated to the latest BIOS?

I explain how to access it in the knowlegeBase Article at the hyperlink below.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Is-your-notebook-plugged-in-and-not-charging/...

You can copy and paste the result of the report here in your next reply.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello Erico,

I have updated to the latest BIOS just last week. As you can see

SYSTEM PRODUCT NAMEHP HP EliteBook 1040 G4
BIOSP74 Ver. 01.41 04/08/2022
OS BUILD19041.1.amd64fre.vb_release.191206-1406
PLATFORM ROLEMobile
CONNECTED STANDBYNot supported
REPORT TIME2022-05-1817:17:00

Installed batteries

Information about each currently installed battery
 BATTERY 1
NAMEPrimary
MANUFACTURERHewlett-Packard
SERIAL NUMBER02210 2018/04/20
CHEMISTRYLIon
DESIGN CAPACITY66,990 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY48,140 mWh
CYCLE COUNT273
HP Recommended

I just saw your PM.

In this case the issue is likely to be the resistor which acts as a fuse on the notebook's system board  in the power section or a possible failure of the the power management chip which regulates battery charging and switching between AC adapter power and the battery.

HP Recommended

So I would have to have the PC system board repaired?

HP Recommended

If you haven't done it already, try updating to the latest BIOS first.

If that fails to resolve the issue, then it is definitely time for your notebook to ho to the shop for repairs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.