Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15z-eh000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There's a few problems with this brand spanking new laptop which I received from HP.com on Dec 30,2020.  Today is 1/14/2021.

1)  I use the original NVMe HP windows 10 with original HP ram with windows 10 fully updated.  I've also updated the bios to the latest available at hp.com which is F.05 Rev.A.  This laptop uses the AMD Ryzen 7 4700U cpu.  The battery is charged to 100%.  The main problem is that after I shut computer down via window menu -> shutdown and disconnect the AC adapter, the battery drains fast from 100% down to 84% in a little less than under 24 hours.  I have disabled usb-c charging in the bios.

According to this posting on a related issue, a BIOS appears to fix his problem:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-drain-when-powered-off...

However, the latest bios available is F.05 Rev.A from support.hp.com for my model, however, other people who have bought the same model as myself from

https://slickdeals.net/f/14628808-hp-pavilion-15z-15-6-laptop-1080p-ips-ryzen-7-4700u-8gb-ram-256gb-...

shows their identical laptop comes with "BIOS version F.10, online shows older version F.05 Rev.A as the latest. "

Can HP provide the latest firmware version F.10 on the web site so that I try and see if it fixes the battery drain issue?  If not, can HP work on a bios that will fix this issue?

2) With the laptop off, I still can hear the cpu making high pitch noise.  This is the other problem.  I'm thinking that maybe if HP can provide bios version F.10, it may fix the issue.

Here's the other guy who has the same exact problem as myself:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Pavilion-15z-eh000-has-a-power-...

Can HP contact their engineers to look into this to see if a bios can solve the battery drain issue?  I've been on the phone with HP customer service for over 3 hours and 21 minutes the other day and on 1/14/2020, I've been on the phone with HP for over 2 hours.

Thanks,

Gordon

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi@cpuUpgradeg, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the exactly same issue with you, and my BIOS version was F.10.

I think F.05 and F.10 both have the same issue. 

HP Recommended

Hi@AndyCho,

We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

HP Recommended

FYI, I've been on call with HP on 1/13/2021 for 3 hours and 21 minutes then got disconnected on a long transfer.  Then on 1/14/2021, I've been on a 2 hour call with HP.  HP is terrible.  I was told HP would call me.  But never heard from HP.  How about at least HP provide firmware 1.0 on the web site and get an Engineer on this forum?

HP Recommended

This is not one computer issue, HP needs to fix all these laptops!

HP Recommended

just for you guys to know, I received a private message from

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Please provide the below details -

First Name:

Last name:

Case Number:

Email address:

Telephone Number:

HP Model number:

HP Product Number:

Product Serial Number:

Description of the issue:

Let me know.

----------------------------------

Again these were in a private email, I replied and we'll see what happens.  I assume you guys have the same message.  Of course, don't post your sensitive above info in public but just thought to keep you guys in the loop.  there's no way I'm going to call HP after being on the phone with them for 3 hours and 21 minuets on 1/13/2021 and another 2 hours on 1/14/2021.

HP Recommended

I had some success by chatting with HP. Only had to wait a few minutes for someone - much better than 3 hours! They eventually gave me a case number and said to send it in for repairs under warranty. It almost certainly is a hardware or firmware issue.

HP Recommended

pls let us know if your replacement has the same issue.  also, did your first copy have an electrical sound around the cpu?  Mine is very faint and it might be normal, but not normal if laptop is off.  Pls keep us informed cuz I'm going to wait it out hoping for a fix. My thinking is that if it's a bios issue, then there might not be a need to send it back, so I wait for your new one..  Just afraid of sending it in and then get another one with other issues. 😃  So I wait.  I'm also with an HP rep who will extend the exchange date while they are investigating so I'll wait. 

HP Recommended

Yes, mine did have the faint electrical static noise from around the CPU! I'll update this thread when I get the laptop back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.