Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17-AN010NW (2BS12EA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

i have problems with my new notebook.

I bought it (HP OMEN 17-AN010NW (2BS12EA) and also Samsung SSD NVME M.2 PCIE x4  EVO 970 250 GB.

I can't boot from ssd. 

I used to clone OS:

1.Samsung migration tool - no disk in boot menu

2. EASEUS TODO - no disk in boot menu

Disk is visable when i change in bios to Legacy, but not like  OS BOOT MANAGER UEFI,

when i try to boot from it , ihad info: Reboot and Select proper boot device or inser boot media in selected boot device and press a key

What should i do? Notebook is new, system is clear.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I just did a similar operation yesterday. Installed an Adata SX8000 into a 14m-cd0001dx (also an 8th gen Intel machine) on a system that was sold with only a 500 gig SATA HDD. Saw it, recognized it, and it worked and I did everything in secure boot mode but rather than try to clone. I did a clean install...booted from the Windows 10 usb stick and went to command prompt and wiped the hard drive with the diskpart app. I had previously made a system image of it. With a wiped hard drive and a clean new M.2 I did a clean install to the M.2 and then recovered files from the system image to it...drivers and apps were in the C:\swsetup folder. 

A lot of people have asked about the Samsung 970 Evo and I have not tried one. I had not previously tried the Adata but they were on a very good sale on amazon.com and as I said it worked. I suspect the 970 has compatibility issues. So did the Samsung Migration Tool see the M.2?  

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

I suspect the 970 has compatibility issues. So did the Samsung Migration Tool see the M.2?  

It's not hardware problem, i think that bios and hp software - i did the same operations a lot of times, and did work.

System see disk with no problems, apps too.

I think i find the solution.

For anyone who have the same problem, u can read this topics:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/SDD-upgrade-on-17-an0xx/td-p/6...

In this topi a guy bought the same ssd like oem and had the same problem anyway, so it isn't compatibility issues, btw it's funny that i can't upgrade my NEW NOTEBOOK by the one of the best ssd disk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/60ekct/cant_get_new_ssd_to_appear_in_the_boot_order_li...

So, we can do like people on the topic, but today i call to hp support, first i hear was that support don't help with upgrade by on your hands - ridiculus - so i ring off because i had emotions 🙂 and call again.

Another man tell me that i can do that on 3 ways. ( but it's only good for people who have new laptop and don't want to clone the system but we can try 'clone' solution i second link.)

1. We can make Microsoft account and assign OS license to our account and download clean MS OS and install it, but we loose stock oem system.

2. Make recovery by hp recovery manager and boot from  them, but probably we need to dissconnect HDD drives, because in my case  recovery just start to recover old system, not install new with new recovery partition, probably because that app see system on hdd? strange

3.If our notebok have guarantee we can order recovery and try with oryginal recovery for our laptop ( free)

Sry for my English anyway.

Summarizing, I would not decide again to buy an hp laptop, because the problems that occur in such simple matters really can upset and waste time - it's really funny that support didn't resolve problems like this yet.
They should help users like me, because I decided to buy their equipment, despite the fact that the factory configuration did not suit me and I could choose something else on the market.

HP Recommended

I think I understand you got it working. Keep in mind an upgrade is an upgrade. No laptop maker is going to give you free support on how to alter what they sold you. Upgrading to an NVME disk and removing the back cover is not a "simple thing" and the Call Center people have no experience or training to help. The only source of help is the Forum. 

HP Recommended

Not yet, i will try, i only find solutions for that, when it works i will post step by step to help for another.

Support should know how to do that correctly:  u need to... . So one man can help, but another no? 

Unserw few screws  and install disk in computer in 2018 shouldn't be a problem for all people under 35 i think.

No matter.

It's strange situation for me, when i did this with no problems.

If we have slot, why software problems too?

HP Recommended

You don't understand I do not work for HP as most of the Experts here do not. For the most part we are end users with practical experience. Many are retired IT industry managers and others of us are computer enthusiasts who actually work on computers. We are volunteers who offer to help people who are trying to upgrade, etc. for the very reason that HP Support will not or cannot. 

The Call Center people, bless them, are low paid cubicle workers reading off a script. Most likely do not own a screwdriver. 

I am not convinced yet it is a "software" problem. It may indeed be BIOS but as I said in that other post you linked, if the BIOS does not see the M.2 disk installed it is going to be nearly impossible to do anything with it. 

Good luck to you. 

HP Recommended

I know that you don't work, i'am really grateful for your answers.

I know what u want to say about Call Center, i only think that it should be normal case that i call and ask how to export my OS to antoher drive with no problems.

@Huffer wrote:

I am not convinced yet it is a "software" problem. It may indeed be BIOS but as I said in that other post you linked, if the BIOS does not see the M.2 disk installed it is going to be nearly impossible to do anything with it. 

So bios see that drive when i change legacy, but i cant boot from this drive, cloning is probably problem, but i did it few times and always worked, why not now.

boot windows.jpgbot.jpg

I didn't have time to try anything.

I only check again to boot from recovery witch i made, and this one works strange, because i can't install fresh  OS, only recovery my current.

Probably need to disconnect HDD.

i will update my post.

HP Recommended

The BIOS is seeing the M.2. That is great because when it is a true compatibility issue that is not true. What software are you using to clone? 

HP Recommended

I tried with samsung migration tool and easeus.

ok, i read in samsung software user guide. -> " If you have instant PC recovery software installed on your system, this software may not function properly. "

Maybe tomorrow i will try with aomei ...

HP Recommended

Ok, i solved that problem..

I tried to clone by aomei.. -> result -> no ssd in os boot menu

after that i tried to install fresh win 10 from media creation tool, ok i can choose ssd, after install -> no ssd in os boot menu..

So I decided to exchange my ssd but I still did some research in the bio and it was enough to change priority on bios 

IMG_20180718_133057_072.jpg

When i set this option on higher priority, the OS started from ssd:D, but still i can't see my ssd in os boot menu.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.