Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Omen 15-ce015dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PRODUCT ---

Omen 15-ce015dx

SYSTEM---

Intel Cor i7 CPU @ 2.80 GHZ
8.0 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

So when I bought this laptop in november, they told me to make sure to dowload all my files/photos/music/ect in my D drive becuase the C drive is basically for windows update. so i have every single program and ect in my D drive...but i have so little space left in my C drive that I have no idea what could be causing the  drive to go from 22 GB free to 8 GB space free in a day.

I have done..

- disk clean up
- disk fragmented
- cleared temp folder
- compressed the disk space drive
- theres no system restore point so i couldn't do this.

its a brand new laptop...so a lot of these things didn't do anything to clear up my space.

What can i do to clear up this space? ive done just about everything and nothing seems to work.

and no, there is no way to increase the space on the c drive, i already asked queek sqaud. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @femmed0ll

You have a 1 TB hard drive according to the specs. You shouldnt need to put data files on a D drive to save space for Windows.

Besides, the D drive is usually the recovery drive and should be left alone.

Could you post an image of your drive management so I can get a better idea of what you have going on?

You can use the Windows Snipping Tool to take screen shots of the whole screen, or just specific windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

Go to the windows Search bar and type disk management

Then choose the selection at the top of the pop up.

search.jpg

When the Disk Management window appears, it will look something similar to the image below.

Take a screen shot of that and post it here in the forum.

disk manage.JPG

HP Recommended

According to my laptop, the D:// is not  used for recovery...i have a sperate disk for that.

Imagde1a.pngImagde1.png

Like I have stated, I have nothing in my c drive (no photos, no programs except for webroot and chrome)

I use my laptop for rendering, so with this laptop being only a month old im down to barley any space left? I had 24 GB free space yesterday (sunday) now I'm down to 13.4 gb! i didn't download any programs or anything like that.

I can't have my laptop runnung slow if my c drive is in the red (which it was, I had to compressed the disk space drive and im not even sure if that was safe for me to do).....someone please help!

HP Recommended

OK so I'm guessing you had Best Buy add a 128 GB SSD to your system, is this correct?

All I have to go by are the original specs.

You also say you are using the laptop for rendering video?

Then you would have installed software for editing also?

What are you using to render?

Since I have no way of knowing what is actually installed, I cant really do much here.

Rendering software might be adding cache files onto the C drive  for all I know.

Movie files may be being saved on the C drive by default without you knowing it.

I would appear you would do best to install a larger SSD, if you want fast performance and space.

I would go back to Best Buy and have them look at it. I cant do much without knowing whats installed or how you are actually using the software.

I would discourage using compression for file space, its possible its causing slow write performance.

Do NOT defrag an SSD. let Windows handle that.

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same issue.  So is my friend who has the same computer.  The C drive being full for reasons we aren't able to detect or know why.  Reading this makes it seem that it's a common issue with Omens.  I did not get mine from Best Buy I got it off of Amazon and I'm not sure where my friend got his from. 

However, I also use it for editing and rendering and so does my friend which is the same case with the person who initiated this issue.  So, maybe a gaming computer just isn't video editing friendly??  I thought it would have all the capabilities but, if you think that's what's causing the issue then maybe it's time to send the omen back or resell it and try something else.

My friend and I have Sony Vegas Pro installed on the computer and we also have Adobe Premiere.  He has the additives of Photoshop and Aftereffects, I have the basics of Premiere and Vegas and that's it.

I have deleted all the cashe since my friend suggested that could be the problem as well.  It didn't help.  It's mostly discouraging because these are new computers and shouldn't need all kinds of addons to work properly, and not allow us to use programs as we need or even download a focusrite for a sound mixer program because it doesn't have space when only two other programs are on the device.  I save everything onto an external hard drive, and auto saves to an online dropbox file.  Yet, it says the C drive is full and it has a red bar below it.  I haven't found a solution.  

I have also done the above of defragging and so forth that this person mentioned.  I will take it to maybe geek squad or another tec and let you know if I find anything else out.

HP Recommended

@AmandaGGG 

There is nothing HP Software related that I know of that would be creating backup files onto the C drive.

Have you tried a disk space analyzer to see where the mystery files are located? Look at this article and its suggestions....

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/hard-drive-keeps-filling-up-by-itself-automatically-for-no-reason-on-...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.