Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Community

I don't have enough memory on my SSD drive and I'm looking for a solution. For sure, there is a solution to replace the existing SSD drive with a bigger one. But I've read that there is an existing M.2 interface available. My Notebook is a HP EliteBook 840 G2. What is my best option to enlarge the memory on my drive? If possible to add a M.2 memory card what are the requirements regarding interface (PCI or SATA), form factor (M.2 2242 or M.2280 or other), and protocol? What memory card would you recommend if I'm looking for 512GB or 1TB memory card? 

Thanks in advance for your support. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@AdrianSch 

Firstly I believe you are talking about Storage (hard drive) NOT Memory (RAM). The series does not have dual storage options, it only has Single storage options with 2.5" HDD or M.2 SSD, not both as mentioned on the following Guide

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04560057.pdf

Except for some models which have "M.2 120GB Solid State Drive & 256GB PCIe Solid State Drive can be configured as primary storage or combined with a SATA drive for dual storage performance"

What does your machine have now ? You say SSD but 2.5" SSD or M.2 SSD ? If M.2 SSD, what is it (you can look at Device Manager to find out).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien

You are right. I'm talking about storage and not memory. 

It looks like I do have a 2.5" SSD (see attachment) (Sorry it's in German language). Does it mean that my only possibility is to replace the existing drive with a bigger one? 

System Information.png

Thanks

HP Recommended

@AdrianSch 

I can't see attached image. Anyway, you can replace 2.5" drive with any standard 2.5" SATA SSD. For example

https://www.crucial.com/products/ssd/crucial-mx500-ssd

https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/sata-ssd/ssd-870-qvo-sata-3-2-5-inch-1tb-mz-77q1t0bw/

Or similar from reputable vendors.

If with luck, your machine does have M.2 slot, you can add M.2 SATA SSD drive to your machine using ABOVE links but for M.2 SSD drives.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks Banhien for your reply. The picture has been removed because there was a serial number visible. 

I do have a M.2 slot as you can see on the picture. It is named as DIMM2. Can I use this as a 2nd storage device or is it only for RAM? 

IMG_5683_1.jpg

There is another space with two wires available. Could this be something to connect with a storage device? 

IMG_5684.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.