Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello all,

the laptop has a problem that the battery is not calibrated properly. when, according to windows, there is still about 50% of capacity left, the laptop shuts down immediatly. However the runtime up until that moment is still about the same as the original runtime. Thus I figured I needed to calibrate the battery. I,ve run the HP diagnostics utility to check the battery condition and it told me to replace the battery, without the option to calibrate it. One thing i noticed, was that the reported full charge capacity was way higher than the original capacity. About 66% higher.

I then used the manual way to calibrate the battery from here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04700771

I even had to run the extended hard disk test twice to drain the battery completely

After the battery drained, I charged it fully without touching the laptop.

I then ran the diagnostics utility again. Still the same result. As you can see in the attached photo, the reported full charge capacity and remaining capacity are way higher than the 4400mAh original design capacity.

IMG_1205.JPG

So I still believe the battery is OK but the callibration is way out.

Any thoughts from you, on what i can try/do before actually replacing the battery as runtime is still very good.

Thanks,

Jona

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, I suppose one can convince oneself of just about anything. 😉

You will end up purchasing a new battery. I think you know that already.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Your notebook battery is three years old. 

It is time to replace it with a new compatible battery. 

There is only so long that a battery will be serviceable.  Three years is a pretty good service life for a battery.

Are you aware that there is only a one year warranty on notebook batteries, regardless of manufacturer? 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello Enrico,

Thanks for your quick response. However I'm not convinced the battery is bad. As runtime is still like new. and looking at the real numbers I see the battery still holds about 4200mAh.

Althoug 3 year is indeed a pretty good service live for a battery, I think battery usage is counted in cylces. This battery has about 228 cycles. Reading up on it on the internet, they say these batteries normally go up to about 300 cycles. So it appears that this battery runs a bit short of it's standard life.

Warranty is indeed out of the question as the battery is indeed 3 year old. 😄

However, European law requires the manufacturer/distributor of electronic equipment to have at least a 2 year warranty on hardware malfunctions. Not that it makes any difference in this case.

Thanks again for your response. I'm going to try again calibrating the battery, but if nothing indeed helps, it seems like i'm going to have to replace the battery.

Jona

HP Recommended

Well, I suppose one can convince oneself of just about anything. 😉

You will end up purchasing a new battery. I think you know that already.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.