Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-af122nd (ENERGY STAR)
Linux

Since a while, my laptop, when not fully charged, constantly switches between "charging" and "running on battery". When running on battery, the small light near the power-connector is white, when chwrging, it is red. I mentioned I run Linux, but the same thing happens under Windows, and even when the laptop is switched off, I see the led toggling from white to red and back. Also, the time given for full charge and for lasting battey time is often completely erroneous, such as 6 hours or more. My laptop is a bit more than three years old. As I see the toggling when the laptop is shut down, I suppose it must be a hardware problem. I replaced the adapter, but this didn-t solve the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you are still able to use the Hp PC Hardware Diagnostics or still have the HP Support Assistant installed, run the main battery diagnostic.

If the battery is no longer serviceable, and I would suspect that is so, you will receive a fail code when the test runs.

Notebook batteries are generally only covered under warranty for one year. A replacement battery for your notebok is quite inexpensive. 

See the search I did for a replacement main battery at the link below this line.

https://www.google.com/search?q=15-af122nd+replacement+battery&oq=15-af122nd+replacement+battery&aqs...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If you are still able to use the Hp PC Hardware Diagnostics or still have the HP Support Assistant installed, run the main battery diagnostic.

If the battery is no longer serviceable, and I would suspect that is so, you will receive a fail code when the test runs.

Notebook batteries are generally only covered under warranty for one year. A replacement battery for your notebok is quite inexpensive. 

See the search I did for a replacement main battery at the link below this line.

https://www.google.com/search?q=15-af122nd+replacement+battery&oq=15-af122nd+replacement+battery&aqs...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I got an failiure reported, indeed, when i ran the battery test. I will buy a new one. Thank you for the fast answer!

HP Recommended

@Arion58 

You're welcome!

HP Recommended

Just one last question: Can it harm my laptop if I keep using the battery until it really "dies"?

HP Recommended

It shouldn't, but I cannot state that as an absolute.

There have been cases where a main battery failure appeared to contribute to a corrupt BIOS. For that reason I would tend to replace the battery. With notebooks that have removeable battery types, it is better to just remove the battery.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.