Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I found at Aliexpress some USB-C to USB-A Adapters which seems to be ok for connecting USB-Sticks, Wireless mouse or HDD to it. But they all mention OTG!?!

Imho this is needed for some phones to connect device, but I don't know that it connection with laptops.

Are that the right adapters?

Example:

[edit]

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @starbright_,

OTG (or On-the-go) adapters essentially allows mobile devices to connect to USB and mass storage devices while also allowing them to be connected to a host computer acting as a mass storage device. 

Essentially, OTG adapters were invented so that mobile devices could connect to USB devices but they work with your laptop as well. Just make sure you purchase a reliable adapter with good reviews as I've had plenty of bad connection consistency experiences with third party USB-C adapters purchased through online shopping.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

As far as I could conclude from the price this adapter are passive, just changing the shape of the interface connector, right?

HP Recommended

@starbright_ wrote:

As far as I could conclude from the price this adapter are passive, just changing the shape of the interface connector, right?

It is wise to always use  specifications and knowledge instead of price to draw accurate conclusions.   It is likely that the adapter is passive. see the wiki article at the link below this line.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjf9aGk__rm...

An explanation of OTG

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/what-is-usb-otg.html

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Checkin this closer I assume that this OTG Adapters will support only USB-2.0.

Don't find a pinout scheme for USB-C OTG but I found something with respect to USB-Micro. That has not just the 4 known USB 2.0 pins but 5 - there is an extra "Sense pin". If this is grounded, it signals the phone  to be a "USB Master" (as a phone is usually some kind of a slave).

My guess (not sure) this pin will be ignored by PCs - but I don't found any proof for this theory.

Haven't found any USB3.0 OTG pinout til now.... (Maybe ithis "Sense Pin" is pin 7 (Ground for signal return))

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.