Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook Intel Core i3 7th gen

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of Info - the laptop was a gift and it doesn't say anywhere on it the model name.

Its running Windows 10, but don't know what version.

It has a model code on the back of - 3168NGW

prod ID - 2PW34EA#ABU

Hopefully some of that is useful!

My laptop has been working fine and well for 2.5 years, then the last couple of days its started 'locking' then shutting itself down straight away whilst in use. (Don't know if this is linked or relevant)

Then today, I was in the middle of using the laptop (plugged in charging) when it instantly turned itself off without warning - as if it had lost power and was flat.

It was then I noticed the orange power light was flickering a white light every 2-3 seconds - I don't know what this means.

The laptop still won't turn on, I have tried taking the battery out, tried unplugging, replugging, leaving it alone.

Just hoping someone had a similar issue, or even better, someone out there has a clue how to help me sort it out and get it working again!

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Martin

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Saint_tinsk,

I'd like to help!

If the LEDs stop blinking and the computer does not start, press the Power button again to repeat the blinking sequence.

Specific patterns of long and short blinks along with long and short beeps (where applicable) identify errors during the startup process. Newer computers have two-part blink sequences with different color lights to indicate specific errors. The LED blink/beep sequence near Caps Lock and Number Lock keys indicates the type of error:

• The red Caps Lock LED blinks are long.

• The white Caps Lock LED blinks are short. For example, ‘3.5’ indicates 3 long red blinks and 5 short white blinks.

• On systems that do not have a dual-color LED, both long and short blinks are white.

• Some systems do not have a speaker and do not beep.

Refer to the document to identify the pattern and the issue- - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.