Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 17 G3 IDS Base Model Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, Do you know if it is possible to update the Nvidia dedicated graphics card of my workstation? Can I install it by myself or will I need assistance?

My current graphics card is Nvidia Quadro M5000M.

Thank you very much!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SDinatale,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

According to: HP ZBook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support, you already have the most powerful discrete graphics card installed.

NonSequitur777_0-1660406633787.png

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

It is a removeable and replaceable MXM laptop video card. I have the 15 inch version of the same laptop and added an MXM card so have some experience with this. MXM is not a universal thing like video cards used in desktops. It's true you have the best video card HP offered at the time; there will very likely be upgrade options but you are looking at a great deal of research to find out what can be installed. You will have to rely on an MXM card enthusiast site. And then MXM cards tend to be very pricey and you may have to figure a way to modify the heatsink. If you still want to proceed let us know and we can try to walk you through. Actual replacement of the MXM card is not very hard to do. 

HP Recommended

@SDinatale,

And to add to @Huffer's comments -speaking of looking at "MXM enthusiasts" (see the #1 ranking HP ZBook 17 G3): UserBenchmark: HP ZBook 17 G3 Compatible Components, and going off the HP Reservation, you may want to look into this MXM graphics card option: the Nvidia GTX 1080 GDDR5 8GB MXM.  If applicable to your laptop, you could get one of these for $299 via eBay: nvidia gtx 1080 mxm 8gb: Search Result | eBay.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.