Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

UPDATE....Got everything in I needed...Set it up like you said, using Macrium Reflect...LONG, LONG, LOOOOOOONG, story short, the USB/SATA enclosure I got didn't work...What I ended up doing was this....Pulled the mechanical drive and dropped in the new EVO 860 SSD 1tb....Cloned the boot SSD to it, pulled the SSD boot, dropped in the new one, cloned the EVO to the new boot SSD, then finally used an external hard drive docking adapter that I previously had to clone the mechanical back to the new EVO....Not exactly how you laid it out, but I had to improvise with the non-functional USB/SATA enclosure...I am thinking that it should have worked...

10 hours later, my laptop won't boot with the new SSD boot drive in it...the EVO portion of the upgrade is 100% successful, though, so not all is lost....I dropped the old SSD boot back in and it fired right up like absolutely nothing had happened....Only thing I could see wrong with it was when I looked at it in Macrium, the main partition of the new SSD is red instead of blue...Went to C: and went through all of the directories, so all of the info apparently copied over, but something is amiss...

What's my next move(s)??????   Thanks!

HP Recommended

I think you got a bad external adapter there. Without one cloning is going to be next to impossible. You could put the original drive in and make a system image backup to an external usb hard drive. Then put the new M.2 in and use a Windows 10 disk to install from the system image and you wind up with essentially a clone. Just did that myself with a new laptop I got Friday. Upgraded the M.2 from 256 to 512. 

HP Recommended

I am wondering.....Do you think the reason that it isn't working is because my old SSD is M.2 and not NVME??? Guessing that the Windows install might not have the drivers installed for NVME???

Perhaps if I installed specific drivers, recloned it all over again, if it would work properly....Thoughts?

And thank you again for all of the insight and advice...

HP Recommended

Is the BIOS detecting the NVME disk? Its not a driver issue. Both drives are M.2. One is SATA and the other NVME. 

HP Recommended

Did an image backup onto the new NVME via Macrium and it worked.....Had to boot it into safe mode the first time, but when I hit restart, it fired right up and away we go.....I have to repartion the C: as the backup set it at 120 gig.....Once that's done, this upgrade is done!!!

As an aside, I just timed the boot up process time....4 seconds...thanks again!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.