Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop - 15-dh1005na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I've had my Omen Laptop for around 3 months now, and i'm beginning to notice some issues with it.

Every time I start up a game, it will run fine, 60 FPS and stable, but after a few minutes, it'll drop to around 15 FPS and I have no idea why.

I've looked online and people have suggested that my laptop might just be too old, but i've literally only just got it 3 months ago so that can't be right.

The games that i've used as an example of this are Yakuza Kiwami and Minecraft, they'll run at 60'ish FPS and i'll be on Performance mode on the Omen Command Centre, and I also bought a cooling pad with fans inside since I thought it might be an issue with overheating or something. However after around 5 minutes or so it'll suddenly drop in framerate significantly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there.

I seem to have sorted out the issue. When I cleaned out the laptop from dust initially, I just took the back cover off and cleaned the fans and chassis, there wasn't much better performance.

However, today I used compressed air on the back vents of the laptop, and an UNBELIEVABLE amount of dust ended up coming out of the laptop.

I just tried out Yakuza Kiwami and Minecraft just now, and have yet to experience any frame drops (here's hoping it stays like that), with Minecraft especially the actual regular framerate appears to be much, MUCH better, like, 120FPS with visual mods on, which is incredible since it was struggling to even manage 44FPS before.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Rakigen there are many ways to increase FPS and system performance:

• Update the BIOS.

For desktop PCs, go to HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS.

For notebook PCs, go to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

• Update the graphics driver.

Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, enter your PC model, then select the driver for your graphics card.

• Most games allow you to change the graphics settings. Using a lower graphic quality often improves FPS.

• Close any applications or programs that are not being used.

• Turn on Game Mode. Game Mode is a new feature in Windows 10 Creators Update that improves gaming performance by limiting background processes and programs from using system resources while a game is running.

1. Press the Windows key and G to open the Game bar.

2. In the game bar, click Settings.

3. Click the check box next to the game title to enable Game Mode for that game.

Plug notebook PCs into an AC adapter to give the graphics card more power.

• Plug notebook PCs into an AC adapter to give the graphics card more power.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, i've updated the bios, drivers, etc. It's still having the same issue where it runs really well when i'm first playing the game. I just recently bought Civilization 6 and it's having the same issue, Nvidia Geforce Experience automatically decides the optimal settings, and when I run the benchmark for the game it runs great, 80 FPS or so, but when i'm actually playing the game, after about 5 minutes it drops to like 15 FPS.

HP Recommended

@Rakigen 

I recommend you perform a system reset on the computer and check if it helps.

Refer to the below article for detailed steps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I've just done the system reset as instructed, and the same thing is occurring, i'll play and it'll be set to around 60FPS at the start, and then after a few minutes it just abruptly drops to like 15FPS.

HP Recommended

@Rakigen 

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've used the HP support assistant thing and I genuinely think it's made the issue worse, the framerate doesn't even start at 60 now, it just drops straight to 20FPS.

It eventually suggested to clean the inside of the laptop, and i've done just that, see attached photos, it was horribly dusty, so I assumed that would solve the issue. I used compressed air on the fans.

20201108_151254.jpggross laptop.jpg

By the time i'd cleaned it all I thought the issue would finally be solved, but things are the exact same (even a little worse) now. After I said to the HP support assistant that i've cleaned it with no better performance result, it just says "Glad to talk with you. Could you describe your problem in detail?" so i'm assuming it has nothing else to say.

Could the laptop potentially be faulty?

HP Recommended

@Rakigen 

The laptop needs to be checked physically before coming to any conclusion. I recommend you contact support and they will assist you in this regard.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there.

I seem to have sorted out the issue. When I cleaned out the laptop from dust initially, I just took the back cover off and cleaned the fans and chassis, there wasn't much better performance.

However, today I used compressed air on the back vents of the laptop, and an UNBELIEVABLE amount of dust ended up coming out of the laptop.

I just tried out Yakuza Kiwami and Minecraft just now, and have yet to experience any frame drops (here's hoping it stays like that), with Minecraft especially the actual regular framerate appears to be much, MUCH better, like, 120FPS with visual mods on, which is incredible since it was struggling to even manage 44FPS before.

HP Recommended

@Rakigen 

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.