Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 14-v148ca (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I own an old notebook which is now painfully slow. I want to revive it by upgrading the existing hard drive with a new SSD in hopes of saving it. I would like to know if my options are limited in terms of proprietary hardware, or if any mobile SSD will work. I'm not worried about voiding any warranty by this since it would've passed already although I have little experience with laptops.

I'm also curious if ram upgrades are still available.

(Pavilion notebook 14-v148ca)

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

Any brand 2.5" x 7.0 mm SSD should work.

The Sandisk or WD Blue SSD's provide the best performance for the price in my opinion.

Here is the link to the service manual. 

c04498497.pdf (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Also, ram is still available, it's PC3L, 12800, 1600 MHz according to the service manual. You should be able to get 2x8GB of ddr3. 

You can go here https://www.crucial.com/store/crucial-advisor-trust  and look up compatible ram for your laptop.

Alternatively, Windows users can determine the maximum RAM capacity in the Command prompt (Run as Administer) with the command here- "wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity" without the quotes and divide the value by 1024 That will give you the total amount supported by your laptop.

Be advised that HP likes memory with relaxed timings, like the vanilla Crucial modules, or Samsung, SK Hynix modules work well. Don't buy any modules labeled as Performance ram, as there are no adjustments you can make in bios for timings.

Volunteering here is my therapy
17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.