Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Omen 15-ax002na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm wanting to replace the conventional hard disk drive with a solid state drive and need to know how this will affect the warranty.

HP Support in the UK don't offer an online chat service and the US side could not help answer this question as the product was purchased in the UK.

On this particular model, W9T93EA Omen 15-ax002na, what is considered a user replaceable part and can I remove the rear panel without voiding the warranty?

Product spec:

i7 6700HQ

8Gb DDR4

nVidia 965m 4Gb

120Gb NVMe SSD

1Tb HDD (with recovery partition)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

HP has said to us that you can enter the access panel and install/replace even parts marked as not customer serviceable as long as no damage is done and keep the warranty. 

See p. 38 for a picture of where the M.2 slot is located. You can install a PCIe M.2 mSSD. In fact HP is loaning me an Omen which is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. HP Experts receive periodic loans of products to help us answer your questions and we donate them to charity after about a year. My Omen is set to get here tomorrrow and I already have a PCIe M.2 512 disk ready to add in. I am thinking about doing a video and posting it.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

HP has said to us that you can enter the access panel and install/replace even parts marked as not customer serviceable as long as no damage is done and keep the warranty. 

See p. 38 for a picture of where the M.2 slot is located. You can install a PCIe M.2 mSSD. In fact HP is loaning me an Omen which is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. HP Experts receive periodic loans of products to help us answer your questions and we donate them to charity after about a year. My Omen is set to get here tomorrrow and I already have a PCIe M.2 512 disk ready to add in. I am thinking about doing a video and posting it.  

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the reply, I'd very much like to see a video How To of taking one of these Omens apart.

Also, are there likely to be any warranty issues if the NVME drive is wiped to remvoe the, frankly, monsterous amount of bloatware pre-installed with Windows 10?

HP Recommended

No. software does not impact the warranty. You can do a clean Windows 10 install if you wish. 

HP Recommended

Delivery was delayed a day. Nobody home to sign. Got it today. It came with a 2 TB HDD and also a 128 gig M.2 SATA (Sandisk Z400s) and I replaced it with a Samsung PM961 512 gig NVME/PCIe. I have made a video.

https://youtu.be/PXzj-_TsNGo 

HP Recommended

Nice video Steve.  Great content.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.