Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-ce010nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,
when I bought a laptop (Omen 15-ce010nw) some time ago, I chose the HDD hard drive. After some time, however, I would like to replace it with an SDD disk, but I can not find information in the manual about which hard disk will be appropriate.
Can I insert a disk with M.2 PCle NVMe?
Will the heatpipe also fit? I plan not to leave my current HDD.
What should be the maximum dimensions to fit?
Thank you in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

NB_MSG_Pirates_1_0_931980-001 (manualslib.com)

Chapter 1 has the supported drive types.

According to chapter 1 your notebook has a M.2 slot that supports NVMe SSD's.

You would have to measure the clearance to see if you can add a heat sink.  Probably not.

You may want to look for a M.2 NVMe SSD that has good thermal management such as the Samsung 980 (not 980 pro), or the SK hynix Gold P31.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

NB_MSG_Pirates_1_0_931980-001 (manualslib.com)

Chapter 1 has the supported drive types.

According to chapter 1 your notebook has a M.2 slot that supports NVMe SSD's.

You would have to measure the clearance to see if you can add a heat sink.  Probably not.

You may want to look for a M.2 NVMe SSD that has good thermal management such as the Samsung 980 (not 980 pro), or the SK hynix Gold P31.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for help. There was no such description in the manual that I found for exactly my product.

I am a little afraid of these temperatures, so that it does not overheat. Do you think it's a good idea to change the drive without a heat sink?

I think I will choose one of the products you recommend, but what do you think about the SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I understand your concern and it is a valid one.

I had no idea that NVMe SSD's run hot and that is because of the extremely fast read/write speeds.

I bought a Crucial P5 NVMe SSD for my Dell Optiplex 7050 MT desktop PC and when I checked the drive temp at idle it was 54 C.

So, I bought a heat sink for it, and it lowered the idle temp to 42 C.

That is not a problem in a desktop since there is plenty of clearance, but in a notebook, you won't have that luxury.

The Samsung 970 EVO Plus is a fantastic drive but it is a bit older technology than the 980, and the 980 has a slightly slower write speed than the 970, which may be part of the reason it runs cooler than the 970.

The other part since the 980 is newer, it has improved thermal management.

Yes, if a NVMe SSD gets too hot, the thermal throttling kicks in and slows it down, so if that happens too frequently, what is the point of having a NMVe SSD?

Do some checking and read the reviews and pick a drive that has the best performance for the price, coupled with which one runs the coolest.

I can tell you don't get a Crucial P5 and put it in your notebook, unless there is enough clearance to add a heat sink.

I love the performance it has, and since it now has a heatsink, I am not worried about the temps.

I've never seen it go over 55 C under the heaviest workload.

I think the throttling level kicks in above 70 C.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.

I opted for the newer model (which you recommended). Maybe it has lower performance, but I hope that it will not reach such temperatures thanks to this.

And I would have one more question regarding the cooling of the Samsung 980 SSD.
Is it worth buying a thin heat sink, for example: Axagon CLR-M2L3? It is only 3 mm long, can it fit? Is it worth installing it?
And if so, understand that the heat sink should be facing the bottom of the laptop? Can it be in contact with the laptop case?

As soon as I get the laptop up, I would like to add RAM memory. There is currently 1x 8gb 2400mhz CL17. I am planning to buy a second 8gb bone. As I understand it, it should be of the same parameters (?).

Which of these would you choose:
1. Patriot CT8G4SFS824A (DDR4 8GB SIGNATURE 2400MHz) or
2. Crucial (DDR4 8GB 2400MHz)
or maybe some other one you would recommend?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I really can't help you with the heat sink because I don't know the clearance you have.

I don't think it would be good if the heat sink actually came in contact with the case.

And yes the heat sink faces up, toward the bottom of the case, not down toward the motherboard.

I bought a heat sink on Amazon.com that was 4mm thick and was attached to the SSD with 3 silicon rubber bands.

Amazon.com: icepc M.2 Heatsink PS5 PCI-E NVME 2280 SSD Graphene Coating Copper Heat sink,High Perfor...

They also sold a 1.5 mm thick one that might work in a notebook, but I don't know for sure.

That's on the above link for $12.45 USD.

Any thinner and it wouldn't be worth having a heat sink.

As far as the memory is concerned either one should be fine.

The advantage of the Crucial memory is that they guarantee compatibility with your notebook.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp omen 15 | HP OMEN 15-ce010nw | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

Today I bought the mentioned SSD (Samsung 980). Of course, I installed it immediately and put Windows on. While installing the game and several programs and drivers at the same time, the disk showed 52oC. After the end of the processes, the temperature dropped quickly. The temperature of 37oC was maintained during the game. So I'm happy with my choice - thank you again 🙂 I think that I will let go of the heat sink for now. I'll be monitoring the temperature.

Tomorrow I am receiving the RAM (I finally decided to use Crucial) so the laptop will stay with me a little longer.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

That is great news the Samsung 980 SSD seems to run cool in your notebook at idle and under a moderate load.

You should be fine up to 70 C, but I don't think you will get above the mid 50's most of the time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.