Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17 i7 9750H RTX 2070
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After turning on my laptop today, I noticed windows had changed the resolution to 125%. I proceeded to change this back to the standard 100% and launch a game.  I got an error stating something about the graphics card, so I launched geForce experience and saw an update available. Whilst the update was preparing to install, Nvidia spat out an error saying it was not compatible with this version of windows. I then proceeded to update windows to the latest version and try again. It gave me the same error along with saying that there was no Nvidia product installed. After this message I ran GPU-Z to no avail. It also said there was no graphics card installed. This is the same on device manager as there is no display adapters folder. I followed some guides on the HP forum such as running HP Support Assistant and updating the BIOS, both to no avail.

Please let me know if you guys have any tips.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Om-en17, Welcome to HP Community!

Is it working fine before the windows update?

Type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog and press Enter to open the Device Manager. In the Device Manager window, select View → Show hidden devices from the menubar. Now you will be able to see all the devices including the ones that are hidden because they are no longer present in your system.

Please perform the below steps to uninstall the Nvidia drivers.

Click on the windows key and R key and type appwiz.cpl and press enter.

Search for the  Nvidia drivers clicks on uninstall. Then restart the computer. 

Please download the drivers and install them.

Keep us posted,
If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi, I have encountered the same problem and fixed it. 

Apparently, Windows update is the culprit (what a shocker, huh?), so I had to factory reset my laptop. To do this you need to:

1 - Press Windows key and select Settings;

2 - Go to Update and Security;

3 - Select Recovery and Gest Started, under Reset This PC;

4 - Follow the steps and reset your laptop.

After resetting it should detect Nvidia GPU again, but just in case, make a recovery point. 

Re-installing Nvidia drivers did not work (makes me wonder if HP support only has one suggestion to paste).

Setting scaling back from 125% to 100% did not work.

Hope you found it helpful. 

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

Just ran into the same issue today with my new hp omen 17-cb0700nd. Windows recovery to factory reset fixed the problem, but now I am wondering:

How should I deal with windows update from now on? Just never update anymore, or wait for updates to become available that fix the issue?

It baffles me that an update like this can cause such mayhem to a brand new system, but I am glad I at least found a sollution here. Thanks!

HP Recommended

my are a omen 15, i tried to remove nvidia drivers and reinstal but not work, my rtx2070 is gone. I cant rolback to factory configuration, its my working computer. My rtx2070 is gone after a windows update. I ned the gpu for my work, help me.

HP Recommended

Problem SOLVED.

[edit]

"

Got the same problem as yours after the latest Win 10 update, also have rtx 2070 max-q. Ok, this is how I solved the problem:

1) Download (do not install yet) the latest Nvidia GPU driver from here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

2) Install DDU from here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

3) After installing DDU, restart your computer in safe mode.

4) Booted in safe mode; run DDU and clean the Nvidia graphics card drivers that is already installed in your system (select device type: "GPU", then click "Clean and Restart")

5) Once restarted, install the Nvidia GPU driver that you have downloaded in the first step. After the installation is complete, you should restart your computer for the changes to take effect. And you are ready to go, the problem should be solved if you follow those steps.

"

HP Recommended

Worked perfectly for me.  Thanks.  I was about to send the computer back as I had only had it one day.

HP Recommended

The best advice that worked perfectly for me as well, thank you! I've been getting this problem constantly since I got my Omen last year - extremely annoying. Usually, I'd just restore back to a restore point but with the latest updates it just seemed to bomb out with not detecting the card at all, no matter what restore point I restore to. 
This fix worked perfectly for me, ánd provided a way to fix it in the future as well. You're a Godsend!

Writer by day, Gamer by night.
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for this! Only had my New OMEN 15 for 1 day and windows done an update. I couldn't quite put my finger on why everything looked so different but as it turns out, it wiped my GPU in the process. This advice was a godsend to get it back.

thank you, thank you, thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi man. You are my hero.
Your solution work perfectly! 
Thankyou very much.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.