Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 2020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does HP Envy 15 2020 support 2x32 Gb dual channel memory upgrade? If so, what is the maximum RAM frequency ? My kit (the original one) currently has 2400 Mhz, I am not sure but I believe it is downclocked internally to 1800 and something Mhz.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP will not provide any information other than what is in the service manual. Nobody is going to contradict the official company line and say it can take more memory. Sometimes you just have to gather the best info you can and take a chance. This is one of those cases. I say about 80% + that 64 gigs would work but not going to guaranty it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Would need exact model as it likely depends on the processor. If the memory is running at 1833 speed it may be an AMD A series in which case max is 16 gb. If its Ryzen the max is 32 gigs but Ryzen will run the memory at up to 2400 speed. 

HP Recommended

The processor is:

Intel Core i7-10750H 2.6 GHz base frequency (2b), up to 5.0 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology (2g), 12 MB L3 cache, 6 cores, 2666 MHz FSB, 45 W

Regarding memory, the HP maintenance and service manual states:

"Support for 2933 DDR4 , 1.2 V, upgradeable, system memory in 32 GB (16 GB×2) and 16 GB (8 GB×2) configurations"

But I've read on a review that it supports up to 64 Gb (2x32Gb) max memory, could that be possible?

HP Recommended

Yes several models with the 10th and 11th gen Intel processors can use 2 x 32. Some of the Omens are even sold that way by HP. I would say odds are good it would work. We know that many 6th-9th gen models that say they max at 16 will actually take 32. However, that is based on a few years of feedback so 64 gig compatibility is a bit of a crap shoot right now.

I will say very very few computer users really need or can use 64 gigs of RAM unless you are making Pixar movies on a mobile workstation. 32 gigs is plenty for anything you can reasonably hope to do with that laptop. 

HP Recommended

Still, I would like to upgrade it to 64 Gb. Could maybe someone from HP to confirm whether I could upgrade it to 64 Gb of RAM? 

Let's say it would help me a lot with doing my work (not Pixar though).

HP Recommended

HP will not provide any information other than what is in the service manual. Nobody is going to contradict the official company line and say it can take more memory. Sometimes you just have to gather the best info you can and take a chance. This is one of those cases. I say about 80% + that 64 gigs would work but not going to guaranty it. 

HP Recommended

I will try the upgrade next year, I'll post here my findings. Thank you!

HP Recommended

I've just installed 64 Gb of Kingston Value Ram (2 x Kingston 32GB DDR4 PC4-21300 2666Mhz CL19 ) and it works fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.