Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@schildzilla wrote:

...In Germany by law you have to offer 2 chances to fix the product, a 3rd chance in rare situations that wasn't given and then the dealer is forced to take the device back.

Whatever they change, that will not fix it. It's a BIOS problem! The power/standby management is crap and doesn't work well.

I recognize your situation. I'm in Norway and the same rules apply. It doesn't mean they are obligated to repair the unit twice, but they can require it by law. However, in this case, it's just an example of lazyness and/or stupidly following standard procedures.

[Sounding like an old, grumpy man]: Where has all the customer service gone?!?!

HP Recommended

I got my laptop back from the store today. Apparently they "Replaced MB. Tattoo done. WTD tested OK".

I'm not sure what tattoo and WTD means, but let's see if my laptop works or not.

HP Recommended

In my case it started already after several weeks of use but it took me a while to figure out what the problem was.

My Envy x360 shows two problems and both lead to a significantly too hot housing.

1. If the screen-standby is activated the fan is deactivated even if the CPU is on full load --> I meassured 61°C on the bottom of the laptop and 55°C on the keyboard between key 8 and 9. Seems like there is the CPU bellow
  2. Often when I send the laptop into the standby after a while it won't wake up and gets hot

After several weeks of discussion with HP support and great ideas like:

- standby should not be used longer than 1 hour

- reinstall windows

- stop using standby

they told me to send the laptop back for repair. After I received my laptop back I additionally got a protocol that says that everything was checked and everything was ok. Nevertheless they changed the heatsink. Interesting..... If everything is ok why do I change something. At least they tried.

I started the laptop put it on full load waited until screen-standby started and what a surprise fan turned of. After several minutes 55°C on top 61°C on the bottom. The great thing is that with the new heatsink I reach 3°C more than with the old one. In defense of HP the ambient temperature was increased about 2°C compared to when I measured the no repaired laptop.

After I started to use the laptop normally (send it so standby always) after one day I got the second case reproduced.

So know I will contact the support again and we will see what will happen.

HP Recommended

IDK4 I had the same from HP! My laptop would refuse to un-suspend, it would overheat and it was sent away for repair. It was sent back with a new fan or something and all was "tested ok". THE afternoon I got it home I burned myself on it with just 2 firefox tabs open and no other programs running.

I opened a case with HP and explained that I now have grounds to take them to court and sue for personal damage. They didn't want this along with my video proof of the temperatures I was getting off the keyboard with a digital thermo (IR) and from the heat vent with a glass thermo. So they agreed after very little argument to write it off and refund it ... then proceeded to goof off in that process as well. Then the laptop literally cooked itself.

Suspend is designed to work indefinitely, if the hardware is incapable of such then that is a hardware design fault and the fault thus of HP (surprise surprise). In comparison my new MS Surface Book 2 HAS NOT failed on suspend or hibernate like the HP would EVERY time! Has not failed ever on this! It runs at a fraction the temperature of the HP did even with it's "fanless" design! Even when I'm flogging it with virtual machines, FF etc, even when I'm playing a game on it, STILL it runs cooler than the HP did when just idling and yet the HP had a fan and the MS-SB2 does not. THAT says to me HP rooted the boot on the design of the Envy and FWIW I see all the new ones have heat ports on both sides not just one so I wonder if that was their fix.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.