Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While using my Envy 15 Notebook, it became unresponsive so I had to reboot it. After reboot, it hung in loading and no showing the windows splash screen.

I ran the Diagnostics test, and found there is an issue with the hard drive (it happend both in the Short DST and Long DST):

Start Time            Type              Result     Failure ID
-------------------   ---------------   --------   ---------------------------
2017-01-18 14:23:49   Hard Drive        Failed     64NFH0-76Q8GJ-MFGH61-60XK03
2017-01-18 14:21:55   Hard Drive        Passed     NA
2017-01-17 17:04:49   Hard Drive        Failed     64NFH0-76Q8GH-MFGH61-61ET03
2017-01-17 17:03:31   Hard Drive        Failed     64NFH0-76Q8GH-MFGH61-60W303

Is there a manual or webpage where I can search for the Failure ID?

If I boot with a USB drive (Linux Live CD) I can mount the windows partition and go through the files.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hey i was also facing the same problem .... So after making ur backup using live cd (i suggest puppy linux) try reinstalling your os

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
Hi,

It simply means hard drive has failed, which is which you're getting boot issues.

You need to replace it with new one of similar form factor.

If you are within warranty, contact HP. They'll replace it for you free of cost.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/checkwarranty

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Using the Live Linux CD, copy all your personal files to external drive.

After replacement, use recovery USB/DVD to factory reset OS. If you've not created one after first setup of this notebook, you may have to order recovery USB from HP directly for your model.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended
Hey i was also facing the same problem .... So after making ur backup using live cd (i suggest puppy linux) try reinstalling your os
HP Recommended
If the problem continues . . . . This means ur hard disk is no more able to boot
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. After formatting the whole drive and installing another OS (I don't have a licenced windows copy) the PC boots normally.

I had to set it up to Legacy Boot (the new OS did not generate the EFI files though it is supported.

Thanks everyone for the assistance 🙂

HP Recommended
Don't think that i m too old . . . . . I m just 12 🙂 🙂 😉
HP Recommended
Hi @DiegoMar

Reinstalling OS is a temporary solution. If BIOS/UEFI hardware diagnostics has given you failure ID after hard drive test, it means hard drive will eventually fail in the near future. The exact time nobody knows. After it does, you've to buy new hard drive/SSD and reinstall OS again.

Better back up your files on daily basis to be on safe side.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended
Yes . . . . U should first create recovery and then backup your files . . . . . . . . Never ever try to install bios driver unless you are told so by an expert . . . . . . . . I have experienced the problem of bios updating
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.