Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 250 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

We bought 30 new HP 250 G7. I  installed our image with MDT (which works well on all our computers exept these new ones).

Here's the problem (on all computers): suddenly the pad and the keyboard stops working.

1. I can plug in an external mouse & keyboard, it works but the pad & keyboard of the laptop is still nonfunctional.

2. If I put the laptop on standby and turn it back on, the pad & keyboard rework (but will stop at some point).

After some research:

1. If I press the caps lock key, the pad stops working (and also the keyboard). It doesn't do it every time but after 3 or 4 times it does it.

2. I checked the Synaptics touchpad driver, it's the good one. So I restored the previous driver (the basic Windows one). It's better, if I press the caps lock key, the pad & keyboard still work. I did it on all computers but there are still some which have the problem (but much less often).

I don't understand. I tried to update a computer with the latest version (Windows 10 2004), do all updates and it's not better. The HP support told me to install the HPIA but it's not working with this model.

Tomorrow I will try to install a computer with a fresh install to see if there is a difference.

If you have any ideas...? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I tried a fresh install and the problem is still here. I also updated the BIOS.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with a brand new laptop HP 250 G7.

HP Recommended

Hey, glad I'm not alone...

So I sent a laptop to HP, they sent it back to me and the problem is not solved. Apparently they just changed the keyboard... HP sends us a technician to change the motherboard next monday, but I doubt this is a hardware problem.

Also I'm sure that it has nothing to do with our image because we bought few more laptops and the problem is here with the original installation.

HP Recommended

It turned out to be a wrong driver of the touchpad. I use an image of Windows 10 with all programs installed, which originated from a new, just installed and ready to use Lenovo laptop. Apparently this auto-installed a Lenovo version of the Synaptics software, which I realized when I've gone to the settings of the touchpad (the Synaptics specific settings, not the standard Windows basic settigns) and the Lenovo logo appeared at the bottom. The driver provider is indeed Synaptics (stated at Device Manager), but maybe it was customized for Lenovo laptops, I don't know.

Solution:

1. Go to "Apps" (the new Windows 10 style) and uninstall all touchpad software.

2. Go to "Programs and Features" (the old style) and uninstall all touchpad software.

2. Go to Device manager and uninstall the touchpad drivers, checking the tick to "Delete the driver software for this device".

3. Restart and update the touchpad drivers or install the ones from HP website.

(Through all procedures, the keyboard drivers did not change from the basic windows drivers from 2006. Also I did not find any custom drivers for the keyboard from the HP website)

Before this, the keyboard and touchpad freezed randomly at least 2-3 times a day. Now it works for a week without freezing.

Maybe it has something to do with the functionality of temporarily disabling the touchpad when you start typing (to avoid accidental touchpad touching).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.