Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-bc014nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello,

I am interested to buy one of the following laptops:

HP Pavilion 15-bc014nl
• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ
• Chipset: Intel HM170
• RAM: 16 GB di SDRAM DDR4-2133
• Memory: SATA 1 TB (7200 rpm); SSD M.2 128 GB
• Display: FHD IPS
• GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M (4 GB GDDR5)

or

HP OMEN 15-ax000nl
• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ
• Chipset: Intel HM170
• RAM: 16 GB di SDRAM DDR4-2133
• Memory: SATA 1 TB (7200 rpm); SSD M.2 128 GB
• Display: FHD IPS
• GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M (4 GB GDDR5)

I suppose that the two laptops are identical on hardware level (except for the video card).

After the purchase I would like to install a Samsung SSD of type NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 (M-Key 2280) as 960 PRO or 960 EVO.

The two SSDs are FULLY compatible with the listed laptops?

Thanks in advance for the answers.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Pavilion Manual, see p. 2:

Manual

Omen Manual see p. 2:

Omen Manual

Both of these list a PCIe/NVME M.2 mSSD as compatible so the ones you ask about will work. HP uses Samsung SM51 as its OEM PCIe M.2 drives.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Pavilion Manual, see p. 2:

Manual

Omen Manual see p. 2:

Omen Manual

Both of these list a PCIe/NVME M.2 mSSD as compatible so the ones you ask about will work. HP uses Samsung SM51 as its OEM PCIe M.2 drives.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

HP Recommended

You mean SM951?

HP Recommended

Yes. Sorry typo. 

I have one in my Zbook 15 G3...listed as Samsung MZVLV512HCJH-000H1

Purchased from HP parts Store as replacement part

HP Recommended
So does it run at full speed?

Max Sequential Read: Up to 2150 MB
Max Sequential Write: Up to 1500 MB
HP Recommended

Read is high but not that high, like 1600. Write is like 500. There are a lot of posts out on the internet generally about slower than advertised write speeds on PCIe M.2 mSSDs. That is my Zbook 15 G3. On my Spectre 13 "world's thinnest" I get very close to advertised on read and write. Power on and boot is just about instantaneous. Blink and you are at the desktop. 

HP Recommended

If we have a PCIE 3.0 m.2 NVME slot what is preventing us from getting the read speeds that the drive is capable of?

I have a New HP Omen 17 and just upgraded the SSD that came with it the Samsung PM951 to a SM961, write speeds seem about correct but read speeds are "STUCK" AT 1700mbs

HP Recommended

Don't know but being stuck at 1700 mbps is definitely a first world problem, my friend. Have you tried installing the Samsung NVME driver update? Bumped my read and write speeds by about 10%

HP Recommended

Problem was addressed by HP with a firmware upgrade couple of months ago. Now speeds are where they should be.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.