Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

If you had bothered to look you would have seen that the part 403800-001 1GB, 333MHz, 200-pin, PC2700 Small Outline Dual In-Line Memory Module (SODIMM)
NO LONGER SUPPLIED

HP Recommended

Hi @Myisland2006,

Thank you for your reply.

When you went to the parts store and it was not available, did you try the alternative suggestions?  You could also try doing a web search with the part number to  attempt to locate parts.  

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I have the old HP Pavillion dv8000 Windows XP, it was my wife's old computer she had for many years, she has passed on. It sat on the shelf for a few years and I been wanting to use it. I just want to upgrade it to Windows 7 for simple basic use. What is the cheapest, most easiest way to do that?

HP Recommended

First, sorry for your loss and I understand the impulse, but it is a bit like finding a Model A Ford in the barn. Yes it can be made to sort of run modern software but cheap and easy is where it gets tough, particularly easy. 

I actually like the dv8000 it was one of HP's best at the time but the time was long ago. 

If this does not dissuade you the first thing you have to do is get the maximum memory into it. 3 gigs. 

You need a 2 gig DDR-333 and a 1 gig DDR-333 module:

Unfortunately 2 gig DDR modules have gotten very rare so maybe the best you can do is 2 x 1 gig. That will run Windows 7 so slow it will be ridiculous but again it can be done. 

https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Upgrade-Pavilion-DDR-333MHz-200-pin/dp/B008O5005S/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&...

Service Manual:

Manual

See pages 5-10 to 5-12

The laptop came licensed for Windows Xp so if you want Windows 7 you have to buy it and you need to get 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium retail:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-Home-Premium-32-Bit-by-Microsoft-Full-Version-SP1-w-COA/332252866...

I think you might also want to run a diagnostic on the hard drive before you try to install an operating system. Tap F10 as you power up and there is a hard drive self-test in the BIOS. The laptop can actually hold a pair of hard drives so it is possible you have a spare in it already. 

Post back with any other questions. Refurbishing old laptops is actually a hobby business of mine. This one has not yet reached the vintage stage so there is no collector market for it (yet) but it is as said a great piece of hardware from the day. 

HP Recommended

Ok, since I don't know a whole lot about computers, what If I were to take the pavillion  dv8000  to a computer shop and tell them to make the computer serviceable with Windows 7,     how much can I expect to pay?

HP Recommended

Like lambs to the slaughter. An honest shop would not take your money. Most would charge you $250-400. That is install labor for the OS (the majority of the charge), the license for the OS, and memory. If you need a new hard drive, bar the door. 

You are way way better off to go to Best Buy or Frys after Christmas and take advantage of clearance sales on a new laptop. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.