Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6-1100 Notebook PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, so I have recently been given a Pavilion G6 that I really want to upgrade the CPU on, but I am aware with laptops that the chipsets are usually pretty picky on what they like. I have already taken the laptop apart, so I'm not sure of all the specs, but here's roughly what I know and I hope it can determine what's compatible:

Model: G6-118?SA

CPU: Pentium B940, integrated graphics 3000, PGA988, socket G2

RAM: Was 4gb, upgraded to 8gb by adding another 4gb stick

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

From the Manual your Pentium B940 is not even listed but looking at the specs for the processor it is a Sandy Bridge using the same socket and chipset as the 2d gen Intel Core processors. 

So you can install any one of these 2d gen Intel Core processors:

Intel Core i7-2620M processor (2.7 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.40 GHz, 4 MB L3), Dual 35 W 631252-001

Intel Core i5-2540M processor (2.6 GHz,SC turbo up to 3.3 GHz, 3 MB L3), Dual 35 W 631255-001

Intel Core i5-2520M processor (2.5 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.2 GHz, 3 MB L3), Dual 35 W 631253-001

Intel Core i5-2410M processor (2.3 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.9 GHz, 3 MB L3), Dual 35 W 638039-001

Intel Core i3 2310M (2.1 GHz, 3 MB L3) Dual 35 W 638037-001

This model does not use a de-featured motherboard for Pentium and Celeron processors so any of the Intel 2d gen Core processors will work. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-2620M-SR03F-2-7GHZ-up-to-3-4GHZ-Turbo-Laptop-CPU-Processor-G2...

Post back with any questions but please Accept as Solution if this is the answer you needed. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@JacobTheFox

I can't work out what is G6-118?SA. But I believe your machine is an HP G6-1184SA, its specs

https://support.hp.com/lt-en/document/c02863651

Please check page 1 of the following manual to select a right CPU

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02834221.pdf

then use part # on page 80 to order. From page 80, manual shows you how to replace CPU.

More information:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-g6-1100-notebook-pc-series/5082224/model/5119776/ma...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Sorry, what do you mean by a "right" CPU?

HP Recommended

@JacobTheFox wrote:

Sorry, what do you mean by a "right" CPU?

Hi,

The list shows few of them, not all of them are applicable for your machine. Please check cols on the right hand side to select the right one.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

From the Manual your Pentium B940 is not even listed but looking at the specs for the processor it is a Sandy Bridge using the same socket and chipset as the 2d gen Intel Core processors. 

So you can install any one of these 2d gen Intel Core processors:

Intel Core i7-2620M processor (2.7 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.40 GHz, 4 MB L3), Dual 35 W 631252-001

Intel Core i5-2540M processor (2.6 GHz,SC turbo up to 3.3 GHz, 3 MB L3), Dual 35 W 631255-001

Intel Core i5-2520M processor (2.5 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.2 GHz, 3 MB L3), Dual 35 W 631253-001

Intel Core i5-2410M processor (2.3 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.9 GHz, 3 MB L3), Dual 35 W 638039-001

Intel Core i3 2310M (2.1 GHz, 3 MB L3) Dual 35 W 638037-001

This model does not use a de-featured motherboard for Pentium and Celeron processors so any of the Intel 2d gen Core processors will work. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-2620M-SR03F-2-7GHZ-up-to-3-4GHZ-Turbo-Laptop-CPU-Processor-G2...

Post back with any questions but please Accept as Solution if this is the answer you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hey, I have recieved a HP Pavilion G6 for my birthday a few months ago and I noticed it struggled to play simple games like Garry's mod or Fallout New Vegas....of course if that's what you are interested in. I bought a Intel i7 2620m and replaced the quite terrible Pentium B940 and it works so much better. I had read mixed reviews on the compatibility of the CPU with my computer and all you need is a G2 socket or......a 988B socket which is what my HP has. The upgrade is really worth it and I highly suggest it. I've seen a dramatic performance increase with the games I play and just daily browsing. I would usually run Fallout NV at around 25 to 30 FPS with medium ish settings with the Pentium installed and with the i7, I can now run 40 to 35 now depending on where you are at. 

:OpenSmile: Hope this helped you, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

HP Recommended

Is this solution also applicable for Hp pavillion G6 1117tx?

HP Recommended

I too have the same laptop.

Can I use 3rd generation intel processor that have same socket  g2?

HP Recommended

So I was wondering if I need to like reinstall the BIOS, I saw that's what somebody said, how do I do it, if I need to do it at all?

HP Recommended

Hello,
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. I recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/postpage

To be more helpful with your post, you may add key information if you wish:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A

2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you.

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.