Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

My notebook regularly (pretty much every time I pick it up after it's been operating) gives me shocks from the underside. These can be pretty painful. Has this been reported before? I'm concerned about the safety of my device. Ple

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@NatzA 

Very interesting with a plastic body. Please earth yourself before touching the machine. I used to get shock during Winter even when opening my car or simply a handshake.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you, but I doubt it's that. It does it no matter what the situation and nothing else is shocking me. It's been doing it for about a year now, but it's gotten worse lately. It does it every time I pick it up when its on now and it seems to come from between the plastic casing - around the sides or through the holes at the bottom.

HP Recommended

The static discharge gets worse when is winter season, due to frecuent use of clothes made with partial plastic material. Even u can get charged with static energy when you're sitting in plastic chairs, i assume the charger of your laptop has the ground pole pin in the AC head.

The holes that you're talking about it's from the screws? did you try fill or cover these sides maybe with liquid glue, silicone or tape?

HP Recommended

It happens all year around, it's now getting warmer weather too and just started getting to the point where it makes me yell. It runs through a low-voltage transformer from the 3-pin plug.

I don't think I can silicone the air gaps at the back of the casing, as they're for cooling I believe? They are where it shocks worst. It's just started doing it around the edges where the plastic panels meet or the air gaps are.

I'm fairly sure it's not static or clothing or furniture related. 

HP Recommended

I thought the holes you're talking was from the screw holes, but yes, you shouldn't cover these spaces from the ventilation. I had the same situation with another brand a long time ago, i cannot fixed it, but try the next: discharge all the energy inside from the lap. If the battery is removable, pull out it and next press the power button for around 30 seconds, then put it back and check if still doing this issue. Don't you send the laptop for any maintenance or repair service?

This issue occurs when you plug in the AC adapter without the transformer? It happens when is only with the battery too?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.