Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7 6000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello out there-

I have this old, out of warranty, 17" Pavilion that I use for work. Lately, its been moving slower and slower and making a lot of spinning noise. I believe that its the sound of the fan(s) running to cool it down because its overheating. If not that, it would be the hard drive spinning loudly, if that is possible. I run chrome and tend to have a lot of tabs open at one time because of the nature of my research in my work. When I shut tabs down it doesn't help much unless I turn it off to totally cool off.  I have blown out the vents and that seems to quiet it down for a while, but inevitably after time goes by it starts up with the noise again. 

I ran all of the tests that HP assist offers and everything seems to be OK. I've cleaned up everything and dumped everything that I can. It just feels like the thing is about to die. I have backed up the important files and they also live in the cloud.

Is it worth it to open it up and blow out any dust that I haven't reached? Or is it worth it to try to replace the fan?

I'm thinking that maybe I need to junk this one and upgrade but I hate to do that if there is an easy fix.

I have thought of reloading the OS but it came with Windows 7 and an upgrade to 10, which I put in at a point, so I don't have a full version of Windows 10.

I am pretty handy and will probably open it up to look for dust to see if I can buy some time, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about the heat and noise beyond that.

Thanks

Coco

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Cocosandy1 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting noise from the fan and overheating issue.

As you have stated that you have updated the drivers. In that case, I would suggest you contact phone support.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.