Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Got this from my daughter and it's just out of warranty. I ran the short disk test and got the following error:

64X27W-99DAAD-GXGJ3F-60QB13

Any ideas what this is telling me or what can be done about it? Is there a list of error codes somewhere with descriptions? I intend to add a 500Gig SSD and more memory, but want this resolved first. I ran error checker from file manager and that seemed OK. I tried cloning the disk to the SSD, but it fails about halfway through.

Any help appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I can't say for sure, but it sounds to me like the foil is indeed some kind of heat shield and if you can carefully remove it and put it over the SSD, that would be wise.

The material stuck to the memory module is probably also some kind of heat shield.

I don't think that cardboard and electrical tape will cut it.

You should probably either leave it exposed, or get a close duplicate to what is on the original memory module.

I have never come across that on any notebooks I have upgraded the memory in, but again...these thin notebooks are different.  No space for air circulation, no vents cut into the cases to speak of where the memory and hard drive are, so they have to come up with alternatives to keep the electrical components as cool as possible.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the failure code report generated by the code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
64X27W-99DAAD-GXGJ3F-60QB13OKXXXXXXXXXX11/28/20303StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

You will need to replace the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion x360 14m Convertible PCIMPORTANT! This document is intende...

After you replace the drive you can, with another Windows PC running W7 64 bit or newer, use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with the notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

I’ll check out those articles and believe this is within my competence. In looking at it closer I just saw that the SSD I intended to use is about 20 Gig smaller than the hard drive currently in the unit. Im wondering if I try the rebuild with that SSD if it will shrink the Windows partition to allow it to install. I’d hate to have to buy another SSD since I had this one available.

Before I try doing anything I need to check into Best Buy. My daughter bought a service contract, but can’t remember if it’s 2 or 3 years. If it’s 3, I’ll have them put in a new drive, then I’ll have to work on transferring over to the SSD.

I’ll post back on my progress. Thanks for the detailed information, I really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You could always clean install W10 on the SSD if the 500 GB image won't fit on the 480 GB SSD.

HP Recommended

Yup, I’ve been considering that also. I have a little time on my hands so might just try the HP restore first just to see what happens. I only have two or three applications on it so far and was going to delete my daughter’s stuff anyway. I’ll get to reading the process tomorrow, then start making decisions from there.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

OK, I've watched the video and feel I understand the whole process but have one question. Once I have have completed loading the recovery tool and am ready to restart the computer from the USB drive, this is where I want to install the SSD. So, it seems this is where I would take out the old drive, install the SSD (and more memory), then restart from the USB drive - correct?

If by chance the recovery process doesn't like that my SSD is 20 Gig smaller, then I'll just have to get a Windows 10 ISO file on a USB drive, a license, and start from scratch.

HP Recommended

Yes, that is correct.  Replace drive, install memory, run the cloud recovery tool.

But...You don't need a new W10 license in case the cloud recovery tool won't work on the smaller drive.

Just make the bootable W10 installation media using the media creation tool from the link below, and install W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

The Windows product key is in the BIOS firmware of the notebook, and you don't need it or even need to know what the key is.

W10 will pick it up automatically during the installation and will activate once you are connected to the internet.

HP Recommended

Thanks again. Didn't meant to be such a pest, just remember the old adage - measure twice, cut once!. Got the Recovery USB completed, device is shut down, and ready to work. I've printed out the procedures for changing drives & adding memory. Sure wish they had one of those chassis where they just had the small doors for drive & memory access. 

And thanks for the info if I wind up reinstalling Windows.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Gone are the days of access panels and whatnot on these thinner and thinner notebooks.

HP Recommended

Hopefully my last dumb questions. I got the new SODIMM in and will work on the drive tomorrow. Too late here to be making mistakes. There is a metal foil glued around the drive and the connector attaches to it. Is this some kind of shielding for when the device is used as a tablet folded over?  Will it be required to fold it around the SSD?

I see that thick material kinda stuck to the first SODIMM. What is it? Is this also shielding or just an insulator from the cover? I was thinking maybe a piece of cardboard and electrical tape in place of it?

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.