Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Has this been fixed ? I m wondering of buying 16 gb as well but not sure it will work since i do have a discrete graphics card.

Has anyone tried disabling the pagefile and see if it is fixed??

HP Recommended

In case anyone is still interested in this topic:

This is a workaround that worked for me.

It is not an official or supported solution.

I have used the laptop extensively in described configuration and did not have issues that i can relate to memory configuration.

Deducing 256 MB RAM from memory available to OS might eliminate the problem for some CPUs.

The solution works on:
- HP 4540s

- i5-2450M

- AMD/Intel switchable graphics

- 16 GB RAM

- Bios F.42

It might work for other CPUs.

Under Windows you should deduce 256 MB RAM, by using EasyBCD or similar tool.

Instructions for EasyBCD:

Under Advanced Settings/Developer set 256 under "MiB deducted from physical memory", save settings and restart.

Under Linux, set "mem=17G" in kernel boot parameters (effectively deduces 256 MB).

Edit:

Under Windows 7 and later, you may also use the following instead of EasyBCD:

bcdedit /set {current} removememory 256

(Execute the command in command prompt with administrative privileges and reboot).

HP Recommended
It's works!!!! Finally solution is find!!! Thanx a lot
HP Recommended

ProBook 4540s with i5 and Windows 7 Pro, now (finally!) working with 2x8G 1600M DDR3 sticks using your suggested fix with EasyBCD.  No more eternity to boot or slowing to a crawl in operation.  Thank you so much!  That 2nd 8G stick has been sitting in a box for a long time awaiting a resolution to this problem!  🙂

HP Recommended

Really glad to know that someone found a solution. Thanks a lot for sharing.

HP Recommended

What does it cost to deduce 256mb ? I mean what is the effect of this ?  What exactly mean to deduce 256mb ?

Can this be used with 12gb as well ?

Also is there another way to do it ? I don't want to use easybcd bootmanager. I want to be able to boot right away to windows without that 

HP Recommended

The problem does not happen with 12 GB, only with 16.

The only cost of doing this is that you have 256 MB less of RAM (15,75GB instead of 16GB) . That's just 1.5% of capacity you waste. I think it's affordable considering no one could find a proper solution so far. And if after a year and a half nothing could be found, it's either using that boot loader or use only 12 GB. Choice is yours.

HP Recommended

Are you sure this doesn't happen with 12gb ? I've seen posts reporting that same thing happens with 12gb as with 16gb

HP Recommended
I had a problem ether with 16 gb and 12gb
HP Recommended

It did not happen to me with 12GB, I guess it depends on the specific model.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.