Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-bw0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After latest BIOS update seems to be significant degrade CPU efficiency in basic user operations (all browsers, GUI, starting programs)

One positive - No more unexpected reboots.

CPU freq boosted normal (from 2.4 GHz up to 3.4 GHz)

Avarage CPU temperature under load around 60-70 C.

Power profile max performance.

1. Idle CPU load

screenTaskm1.gif

2. Microsoft Edge starting (and any other browser: Opera, Firefox, Chrome)

screenTaskm2.gif

***********************************************************************************

UPDATING: 07-12-2018

Simple experiment:

Load the safe mode(with networking) of Windows 10, measure the start time of Firefox, run CINEBENCH R15.

Fell the difference:

CINEBENCH R15 SM_.gifscreenTaskm6FirefoxStart SM_.gif

CPU load difference:

1. in safe mode CPU utilization reaches 100%, the system fan has become audible, but nothing abnormal

screenTaskmSM_.gif

2. In standard mode, the CPU load is limited almost all the time by 89%

screenTaskm5FirefoxStart_.gif

My suggestion:

Some advanced power management drivers or system cooling policies (HP / AMD CnQ?) throttles CPU usage without any reason, making the cheap&slow A9 APU !!!EXTREMELLLY!!! slow, and not giving the user any way to change this behavior.

Probably, better option would be to make a “Night&Quiet” profile and a “Normal day operation” profile, rather than push customers to return/exchange procedure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 10 Home SL 1709 16299.547

No preload sequrity software (Win 10 Defender only)

AMD A9-9420 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G   

6 GB RAM (2GB Samsung 1866MHz, 4GB A-DATA Technology 1866MHz)

ST1000LM035-1RK172 - 931,51 GB

BIOS F.30

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. The laptop is extremely slow, although before the BIOS update everything was fine. How did you solve this problem?

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

@VMalyuhov

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

This is a great place to get support, find answers to your technical queries.

I understand that you are facing performance issue, need nor worry I'll be glad to assist you.

Follow the below steps to perform a BIOS rollback.

1. Turn off the notebook.

2. Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.

3. With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

NOTE:

On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key  and the V key.

4. While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key  and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

The HP BIOS Update screen displays, and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.

• If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps. If the issue persists after repeating the steps, skip to the next step to Download a replacement BIOS file.

• If the Power light turns off, the notebook has turned off because the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds only.

• If your notebook starts Windows, update the BIOS to the latest version using the standard BIOS update procedure. For more information about updating your notebook BIOS, go to Updating the BIOS (Notebooks).

Figure : The HP BIOS Update screen

The HP BIOS Update screen
  5. Click Continue Startup to prompt the notebook to restart immediately, or allow the notebook to restart automatically when the timer reaches zero.

Figure : Clicking Continue Startup

Clicking Continue Startup on the HP BIOS Update screen
  6. After the notebook restarts, press Enter to continue.

NOTE:

If the notebook repeatedly displays a message that the BIOS has been recovered, go to HP BIOS Application Selected is Corrupt or Missing for troubleshooting steps.

7. After Windows starts, if a message displays stating that the notebook was improperly shut down or that a boot problem was detected, follow the on-screen instructions.

You can now to enter the BIOS menu or start the Windows operating system.

Click on this links: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833 for the further steps.

Keep me posted, how it goes! However, I'll try and follow up in next 24 to 48 hours to doublecheck on the issue.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Oh, it’s not. Downgrade is not successful. USB-drive prepared in sp87191.exe (F.23) flash utility not usable. It has no BIOS signature file (08330.bin, 08330.s12 only). Win+B+Power gived black screen and Caps-LED blinked (2.2: two long, two short). F2 - System Diagnostics - Firmware Management - Rollback - useless for me too. F.30 was flashed twice, so the previous&current now match: F.30. So sad 😞

A similar rollback situation was encountered by another owner of HP15:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Bad-performance-after-upgrading...

On the other hand, the rollback of BIOS is not a full solution. This will resume unexpected reboots caused by hardware instability (see many user reports from January – April 2018). In addition, compatibility with Win 1803 will be lost, which will soon try to install again.

HP Recommended

@VMalyuhov

Thanks for keeping us posted

It looks like you were interacting with Raj1788, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

I have sent you a private message. 

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. The laptop is extremely slow, although before the BIOS update everything was fine. How did you solve this problem?

HP Recommended

The problem is not solved. Technical support did not help. I think that it is necessary to wait for the update of the BIOS version

HP Recommended

Мне вообще сказали "можем рекомендовать лишь обратиться в сервисный центр для повторной прошивки BIOS", т. к. "в данной ситуации решить проблему удаленно не представляется возможным". Только я не уверен, смогут ли и в сервисном центре откатить прошивку BIOS до f.23 😞

HP Recommended

Скорее всего помочь может только обновление BIOS до следующей версии...других путей нет.

HP Recommended

Вот только когда ее выпустят 😞

HP Recommended

Until the BIOS update, which can eliminate our problem, will released, I have solved the issue crucially. I just installed Linux near Windows;)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.