Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ71-320SA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

20 minutes ago, up popped an alert from HP telling me to save & close so that HP could restart my PC. Sid's LAw applied - I'd just started several major Word docs for emailing so it took me longer than usual.

When the PC restarted there was no message from HP what they had done. I checked on HP Support Assistant - again, nothing.

Has anyone any idea what it might have been or how I can check on my PC please?

New Envy 15-AH151sa Win10 IE11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Taffy0872014

You are welcome.

Note that with the advent of Windows 10, there is little you can do to stop the Updates.

Control the hours during which the system is allowed to Restart after Updates are installed:

Windows key > Settings > Update and Security > Change active hours

Take a look, too, at the Restart Options

Only a few lucky dragons enjoy the fur-factor.  Smiling. 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Taffy0872014

Might have been HP Updates OR it might have been Windows Updates.

Check to see what the Reliability Report says -- recently installed updates will be listed amongst the "reconfiguration" setups.

• Reliability Report

Although this cool reporting tool has been around for quite a while, it might be overlooked because it is hiding in an unlikely spot in the Operating System.

Windows 7: Control Panel > set icon view > Action Center >

Windows 10: Control Panel > set icon view > Security and Maintenance >

Under Maintenance > Open the Drop Down Menu >> Click on View Reliability Report

• Help and Information about the Tool

Information at a glance > Reliability Report

How to use Windows 10’s Reliability Monitor to fix and fine-tune your PC

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Click Post that answers your question "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

restart.jpg

I just got the same message on my HP Stream 11 tonight.  I have owned this laptop for 1-1/2 years and never saw this message pop up out of the blue.  After restarting and opening up the HP Support Assistant,  it turns out that a new version of the HP Support Assistant was installed with the following new features:

My Services

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur.

The most recent WU's that I had were on Patch Tuesday 2 days earlier.

The latest HP Update per the Support Assistant was May 2016 (!!).

My HP Support Assistant is v. 8.4.14.41 and a check confirms it's the latest version.

Your referance to the Reliabilty Report is very useful - thank you. Unfortunately, it's something that I have [EDITED AT 07:20 on the 16th APRIL to read to read: DO NOT HAVE  (per snip below). Probably because I've got Win10 Home but I'll check it out and get back later.

Reliability Report not in Control Panel 2017-04 15th.PNG

HP Recommended

Thanks for this, pjc123.

I haven't got "Profile -  My Services" yet my HP Support Assistant is supposed to be the latest version!

Will you post a screen snip to show me where they appear, please?

Also, what version do you have (shown in "About")

HP Recommended

Hello again Dragon-Fur. I posted in this thread in the MS Community

crediting you for the heads-up,naturally! :generic:

You'll see that Julia there has come up with a cmd that works, plus some more links. More reading for me! I'll come back when I've found what caused the pop-up: 

"Try:

Open command prompt, type perfmon /rel, hit enter.

That should open the Reliability monitor."

HP Recommended

Hello again pjc 123. ALthough I've now been shown a cmd that works, it would be really helpful if you still reply to my earlier request when you've a moment. Many thanks.

HP Recommended

I am on the same version of HP Support Assistant as you.  If you go to HP Support Assistant > Check for new messages OR Action Log, you should see one that explains the new features.

HP Recommended

@Taffy0872014

Too bad you have posted this content on another community -- the information in this thread is incomplete at best.  Smiling.  Dragon ego is tough.

Reliability Report

Instead of Clicking on the non-existent "Report", use instead:

Control Panel > icon view > Security and Maintenance > View reliability report

The information is general on the surface and won't tell you the reason for the Pop-up.  You still have to know which Update in the list requires the "restart".

HP Support Assistant

The HP Support Assistant provides History:

Open the HPSA program > Click on your computer icon > 

Window opens to "Updates" >

On the bottom left of the HPSA window, click open the + Action log

Scroll the list ...

You initial question was "Why???" the Pop-up to restart?

Simply answered:

Pop-up messages warn you when a required action is about to proceed.

Commentary

One consequence of automatic Updates is the need to restart the computer when necessary to complete the installation of a particular patch / driver / software update.

If you do not wish to be interrupted with process messages to restart your computer after HP Updates are applied to the computer, switch OFF Automatic updates in the HP Support Assistant.

When you select to be notified of Updates (as opposed to using "Auto" update), you select whether to apply an Update and choose when to install an update to your computer.

Be Aware:

• Please do not allow the HP Support Assistant to update your computer's BIOS.
  • If you find a BIOS update in the list of possible Updates, set the BIOS update to ignore OR Trash the update.  (Trashing the update in the HPSA does not remove the update from your computer's Website Support Driver page.)
  • You must have HPSA auto updates switched to OFF to allow the control of updates.

Set HP Support Assistant to "notify":

Start HPSA > Settings > + More options >

Select Check for updates, but let me choose which updates to download and install

Save

Reference:

Dragon Document - Help, suggestions, and examples

Updates – When and How

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Click Post that answers your question "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Me again. Nothing there about the New Features nor do they appear anywhere on my screen!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.