Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp 255 G1
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi I currently have an HP 255 G1 with an AMD E2 - 1800 APU and I know that this can't be upgraded without replacing the motherboard, so I was hoping I could get some possible motherboard replacements as I wish to upgrade to at least an i5 or the AMD equivalent.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here's the Manual:

Service Manual

If you try to go Intel you will need to buy a motherboard, and a processor and a heatsink/fan. 

If you go AMD all you need is the motherboard since your cooling fan/heatsink can be ported over, and the processor is soldered to the board. 

This is the motherboard you want:

System board (includes replacement thermal materials): For use only with models with an AMD A6-5200 processor ● Models with Windows 8 Standard 730670-501 ● Models with Windows 8 Professional 730670-601

I am going to assume you have Windows standard. 

HP does not have the A6 AMD board in the store....they only have the A4 board and it is stupid expensive:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=AE6D55D28A8C42CE89A8C049F3D07655&SearchIn=P...

Since you do not have one to exchange, it is going to cost close to $500. I can find you a good used Intel 250 G1 for that price. 

You can find the board for $67 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-255-G1-Laptop-Motherboard-AMD-A-Series-A4-5000-1-50-GHz-730671-501-TESTED...

I know you wanted something a bit more powerful but the A4 will be a major improvement over what you have.

The seller laptopaid, is one of the best on eBay for this kind of thing. I can't count how much stuff I have purchased from them. 

Post back if you need any more help. The Manual shows just how to replace the motherboard. Port your fan, memory, wireless card over. You will have to reinstall original Windows but the motherboard has a Key Code embedded in the BIOS and will just activate. If your hard drive still has the original HP install it should activate itself when first connected to the internet but be prepared if necessary to do a system restore.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here's the Manual:

Service Manual

If you try to go Intel you will need to buy a motherboard, and a processor and a heatsink/fan. 

If you go AMD all you need is the motherboard since your cooling fan/heatsink can be ported over, and the processor is soldered to the board. 

This is the motherboard you want:

System board (includes replacement thermal materials): For use only with models with an AMD A6-5200 processor ● Models with Windows 8 Standard 730670-501 ● Models with Windows 8 Professional 730670-601

I am going to assume you have Windows standard. 

HP does not have the A6 AMD board in the store....they only have the A4 board and it is stupid expensive:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=AE6D55D28A8C42CE89A8C049F3D07655&SearchIn=P...

Since you do not have one to exchange, it is going to cost close to $500. I can find you a good used Intel 250 G1 for that price. 

You can find the board for $67 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-255-G1-Laptop-Motherboard-AMD-A-Series-A4-5000-1-50-GHz-730671-501-TESTED...

I know you wanted something a bit more powerful but the A4 will be a major improvement over what you have.

The seller laptopaid, is one of the best on eBay for this kind of thing. I can't count how much stuff I have purchased from them. 

Post back if you need any more help. The Manual shows just how to replace the motherboard. Port your fan, memory, wireless card over. You will have to reinstall original Windows but the motherboard has a Key Code embedded in the BIOS and will just activate. If your hard drive still has the original HP install it should activate itself when first connected to the internet but be prepared if necessary to do a system restore.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it!

HP Recommended

Be sure and read my post again as I added some stuff while you were marking it "solved". Thanks and don't hesitate to ask any more questions. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.