Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-ck000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently was in touch with what I thought was HP tech support, was told my computer was running bad because it was 68% corrupted and had a Network Trojan and wanted 180 dollars to fix it. Contacted McAfee they found nothing, contacted Norton they also found nothing. I'm starting to think it was a scam. Any advise would be great, not sure what to do.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Scam. Beware fake HP Support

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05404707

HP Recommended

I found that article as well, is there any way to contact HP to make 100% sure. My computer just out of no where started acting up and I can't figure out why. Pretty much after the last couple updates. And now won't finish the updates.

HP Recommended

I can 100% assure you that those people you talked to were not HP. Did they try to remote control your computer? How long were you on the phone with them? Are you still under warranty?

HP Recommended

Yes, for 16 minutes. And no but I purchase a 3 yr extended warranty that apparently doesn't do anything. I'm so frustrated with HP and have contacted them several times but the issue is never resolved.

HP Recommended

What are you doing to contact HP? You are in the USA right? 

Enter the system here with your serial number and you will get to HP Support:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

HP Recommended

I tried that and they want me to pay a fee for out if warranty phone support.

HP Recommended

That's why I asked if you are in warranty. If you are out of warranty the only free help is in the Community here. If these scammers planted some kind of malware in your computer it would not be covered by any warranty anyway. Are you willing to work with us and try to diagnose or possibly clean your system and if worse comes to worse, reinstall the software? 

HP Recommended

Most definitely I'm willing to do whatever I have to. I am not the greatest when it comes to computers though. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.