Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-ce05xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've upgraded the SSD in this to a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo and the performance is very impressive, but I wanted to add an internal backup solution so added a conventional SATA SSD. As I only need this periodically for backup I wanted to know if there is any way to turn the SATA drive off to extend battery life. I have tried disabling the drive through the device manager driver tab, but that didn't seem to help much - other than making the drive inaccessible!

Any ideas welcome!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ukcharlee 

Sorry, no switch (hardware or software) available to turn the HDD off. Disable it or making it inaccessible won't help.  Probably

(a) you keep it for user data/files and back up to external drive (that is not the way you want) or 

(b) remove it, put it to an enclosure and only use it for back up.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply - much as I had expected.

One thing I have noted - I ran the SiSoftware Sandra tool and under the Physical Storage window for the SATA SSD drive it gave a couple of tips:

Performance Enhancing Tips
Warning 3115 : DIPM is supported but not enabled. Consider enabling to reduce idle power draw.
Warning 3114 : DevSlp is supported but not enabled. Consider enabling to reduce sleep power draw.

I cannot find any way of turning these on - I reduced the hard disk turn off delays to1 minute (the minimum), and I found mention of a utility called powercfg.exe, but that seems to be primarily an OEM tool so I was wary of going down that route withut help.

HP Recommended

If anyone is interested I found the solution to this here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/72971-add-ahci-link-power-management-power-options-windows.html

It allows me to enable DIPM, but not DevSlp and battery life is much better now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.