Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP envy x360 15-110dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. Today well.. now yesterday its been a problem since about 10pm yesterday but anyway. On my HP Envy laptop I was running a few game updates as usual even watched a little YouTube while I waited like normal. Took a bit long sooo I fell asleep. Sounds great right? Wrong: (..    my laptop doesn't seem to be charging when I put the AC adapter in. My LED on my laptop isn't lighting up either:/? There's literally no sign of life until the method i tried at the end of this post. 

I've tried plugging the AC adaptor directly into the wall and different sockets both in wall and power strip. No luck but everything else powers fine in those locations I tried. 

I've tried giving the AC adaptor a good rub down after disconnecting it from everything. I even separated it into its 2 pieces. The cord for the outlet and the pack cord combo that goes into the pc then reconnecting it and plugging it back into the laptop. Didn't work which it usually does because i guess sometimes it gets to hot or something and stops producing power sometimes its accidentally covered. 

After the above didn't work I proceeded to follow tips I saw online. Such as the electric discharge method which usually works when like it overcharges or something and the LED starts blinking/stops charge. 
Tried the removing battery and adaptor method even tried discharge while both were unconnected tbh I've tried like the 3-4 top searches for "my laptop won't turn on" extensively even watched a few videos.. Not helpful 

I let it sit on charger for a hour while I use my tablet to find you lovely people for help. I don't have a spare battery right now, nor a spare AC adaptor. Also my AC adapter doesn't have a LED signal on it to even see if power is coming through it, and there's literally no signs that its even starting a boot up/charging. I'm totally bummed out without my laptop as any normal person would be. Right?.. The fan spun with just the AC adapter in I'm not sure if it should be able to turn on or not but when I pressed the power button there was no sign of activity, and that Breath of life didn't work 2-3 additional times.

Thank you in advance for all help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@A4Apollo wrote:

@hi! @TheGuyWithQues, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Please try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.
Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager.
Expand the Batteries category.
Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall.
 WARNING:
Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes.
Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes.
Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging.

Also, try checking with a different adapter and battery. 

If the issue still persists it is a hardware issue, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

My laptop won't turn on at all. There's not even the slightest flicker of life in it. No lights. No beeps. No fan. No hard drive revving. No buzz. No snap,  crackle,  or pop. I think my best bet is to just visit a repair shop to check my AC adapter and laptop. Then see who will let me pay the least to fix it. Thank you for all of you alls help. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@TheGuyWithQuest

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 15-u010dx x360 Convertible laptop and it has stopped charging through the ac adapter. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did the laptop overheat before this issue started?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to review the steps as described in detail to test the ac adapter from this link: http://hp.care/2nA40uB

Also, please try running a test by following the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Power - There are two different power tests available, the AC Adapter Test and the Battery Test.

AC Adapter - The AC Adapter test provides an interactive test to determine if the AC power adapter is functioning properly. A good battery is required for this test. Before running the AC Adapter Test, HP recommends verifying that your computer can receive power by connecting a known working AC adapter.

To run the AC adapter test, click Run once. The test takes 2 minutes to run.

Battery - The Battery Test checks your system to make sure that the battery is functioning properly. It tests the battery and allows you to run calibration if needed. The Battery Check test time is 2 minutes. Battery Calibration time is 2 to 4 hours.

To run the battery test and for battery information, follow the steps in Battery Test.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to reply with the results. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

@MKazi wrote:

@TheGuyWithQuest

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 15-u010dx x360 Convertible laptop and it has stopped charging through the ac adapter. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did the laptop overheat before this issue started?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to review the steps as described in detail to test the ac adapter from this link: http://hp.care/2nA40uB

Also, please try running a test by following the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Power - There are two different power tests available, the AC Adapter Test and the Battery Test.

AC Adapter - The AC Adapter test provides an interactive test to determine if the AC power adapter is functioning properly. A good battery is required for this test. Before running the AC Adapter Test, HP recommends verifying that your computer can receive power by connecting a known working AC adapter.

To run the AC adapter test, click Run once. The test takes 2 minutes to run.

Battery - The Battery Test checks your system to make sure that the battery is functioning properly. It tests the battery and allows you to run calibration if needed. The Battery Check test time is 2 minutes. Battery Calibration time is 2 to 4 hours.

To run the battery test and for battery information, follow the steps in Battery Test.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to reply with the results. Good luck! 🙂

Thank you for the reply. I don't believe it overheated its way to cold here and I solved a venting issue before it's definitely not afraid to take the neccesary steps to prevent overheating or to much juice to the system. The AC adapter was never in either and the laptop wasn't being touched by anything. All I know is that it was off when I woke up and wouldn't accept input from the charger which seems normal it had some quick downloads running and YouTube. As for any noticeable signs of damage I didn't see/smell any Its quite a mystery.

I've been through the HP AC adapter test I didn't see anything wrong with the AC adapter I mean its a few bends on the crucial parts of the AC adapter set but doesn't seem enough to cause it to stop. Its in pretty good condition overall there could be a short or something but I'll never know I cant test it any further without additional equipment I don't have and I cant even get a sign of life from my laptop to even get it on to use the components test you displayed. 

I'm just reeeally hoping there's not some ghost issue with the motherboard which didn't have any reason to die on me. I'm really hoping its the ac adapter. Thank you for your time with my issue in advance. 

HP Recommended

Hi! @TheGuyWithQues, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.
Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall.
 WARNING:
Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging.

If the issue still persists it is a hardware issue, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@A4Apollo wrote:

@hi! @TheGuyWithQues, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

WARNING:

Link to contact HP.

My laptop won't turn on at all. There's not even the slightest flicker of life in it. No lights. No beeps. No fan. No hard drive revving. No buzz. No snap,  crackle,  or pop. I think my best bet is to just visit a repair shop to check my AC adapter and laptop. Then see who will let me pay the least to fix it. Thank you for all of you alls help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.