Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15da2019TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm an astronomer and I use my laptop overnight for my telescope navigation, guiding and imaging control systems.
When I am out in the field overnight, without 240V AC supply, I need to connect the laptop to an external 12V DC deep cycle battery.

I have already purchased two 12V DC to 19.5V DC converters which both came with an assortment of plugs - but none fit my current HP laptop centre pin power input socket.

My questions are: 

1. What is the type of power input socket (name/size/type/catalogue no etc) on this specific laptop model?

2. What is the type of plug (name/size/type/catalogue no etc) which I need to fit the socket?

3. Bearing in mind that I have already purchased two converters which do not fit, can you recommend a specific 12V DC to 19.5V DC converter model which would suit?

Thanks. 🙂

Product no 8QW 18PA#ABG

Model no: 15da2019TX

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

So you have a 12v DC power source with a standard "cigarette lighter" type port? Why not use an inverter and the laptop's native power supply? 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124761713360?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1d0c60aad0:g:LyQAAOSwJrxgwdz1&a...

Direct 12v to laptop adapters are not as common as they once were. Laptop makers used to offer car adapters, but now if you can find them they are offered by third party sellers. This is the description of the adapter in the Service Manual:

65 W AC adapter, nPFC, SMART, RC, 4.5 mm, EM 913691-850

This ebay auction for the adapter shows the dimensions of the plug you need:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/114695698030?hash=item1ab465766e:g:hmMAAOSwomJeH-NJ

HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer,

Using a 12V DC to 240V AC inverter in series with the standard laptop adaptor is certainly a fall-back option if I cannot find a suitable 240V AC to 19V DC adaptor.

The dimensions of the required plug (your second link) will be useful, thanks very much. If anyone knows of  a 12V DC to 19V DC adaptor which has such a plug I would appreciate it.

:OpenSmile:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.