Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Presario CQ57
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have this with the AMD E300 processor and onboard 6300 graphics.

From all the posts I've read,  I haven't found the answer.  So it seems that these laptops with the AMD are soldered in which prevents upgrading.

I've upgraded ro 8gb ram and currently copying hdd to 500gb ssd. Funny enough,  it's been over an hour and it still is only at 53%... ridiculous you even sold this laptop with this configuration as it is pure slow! And the graphics are horrible.... can't barely even stream a YouTube video!

What I would like to know is,  can I buy the faster Intel MB & CPU that came in other Presario's and put it in this one?

Or it's that just a waste of $$?

I don't have $$ for another laptop and this one was my mom's before she passed. It's not my primary computer either.

Thanks

Model CQ57-315NR

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It has been quite a few years since HP has provided support for that notebook.

There are no Windows 10 drivers available for the CQ57-315NR from HP. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/Compaq-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC-series/5145720/mod...

Try installing Windows 8 or even Windows 7. Those operating systems are compatible with the  CQ57-315NR notebook. You should consider a Linux OS.

From what I can gather, the notebook is about ten or slightly less  than ten years old.

Putting upgrades into the notebook is not worthwhile as it does not have much in the way of present value.

I suggest sourcing a notebook that is newer that will run  Windows 10 OS.

Having a notebook that lasts beyond  six or seven years is like getting a bonus.

You can flame me for making those statements, but  they are straightforward, honest, reality based. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

No I agree with, it was my mothers laptop before she died a few years ago and we found it in the closet.

I did upgrade the ram to 8gb and put a Crucial 500g SSD and at least now the thing is NOT crawling.

This isn't my main computer just using it for random stuff.

It's is actually not too bad for what I'm using it for and of course the graphics is the worse thing on it.

The laptop is in perfect condition, too bad their such a pain to upgrade..

HP Recommended

Forgot to add...I AM running Windows 10 on it now and it is perfectly fine and operating correctly..Got all the bugs out with drivers etc..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.