Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Laptop Presario CQ61-327SA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.  I have a Presario CQ61-327SA.  I have updated the memory to 4 Gig and I have replaced the hard disk with an ssd.  Its currently running windows 10.  The version of the bios it has installed is F.11 21/8/2009. On the HP website I see that the most up to date bios is F.11 2/9/2009 so the bios does not seem to be too far out of date?

When I look in the laptop's bios it does not have any means of changing the laptop to support AHCI.

Questions:-

1. Does this laptop support AHCI?

2. If it does where would I get a version of the bios which would enable me to switch to it?

3. Would it be worth it, or should I sensibly just accept what I have already got running?

My daughter is currently using the laptop at UNI.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Drive controllers in HP consumer notebooks cannot be changed from the default setting by any means.

The drive controller setting in that model is already defaulted to AHCI and you can see the Standard AHCI controller driver that W10 installs listed in the device manager under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers device manager category.

If you look at the driver date, on all of my Intel PC's with W10, that controller driver date is from 2006.

What I did was to update the driver by installing the W7 driver for that controller, so it is described as it is supposed to be..Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

If you want to do the same thing, I have zipped up and attached the driver below.

To update the driver, download and unzip the file I attached to its folder.

Don't do anything with the drivers in the folder.

Go to the device manager, click to expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers device manager category.

Click on the driver tab, click on Update driver.  Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include Subolders box is checked and the driver should install.

You will then have to restart the PC and afterward you should see the correct Intel SATA AHCI controller listed with a newer driver date.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Drive controllers in HP consumer notebooks cannot be changed from the default setting by any means.

The drive controller setting in that model is already defaulted to AHCI and you can see the Standard AHCI controller driver that W10 installs listed in the device manager under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers device manager category.

If you look at the driver date, on all of my Intel PC's with W10, that controller driver date is from 2006.

What I did was to update the driver by installing the W7 driver for that controller, so it is described as it is supposed to be..Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

If you want to do the same thing, I have zipped up and attached the driver below.

To update the driver, download and unzip the file I attached to its folder.

Don't do anything with the drivers in the folder.

Go to the device manager, click to expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers device manager category.

Click on the driver tab, click on Update driver.  Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include Subolders box is checked and the driver should install.

You will then have to restart the PC and afterward you should see the correct Intel SATA AHCI controller listed with a newer driver date.

HP Recommended

Paul, Thank You So Much for your help.  I did'nt know that it defaults to AHCI.  In the next couple of days I will update the driver as you suggest.  

Thanks Again.:smileyvery-happy:

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

What's nice about W10 and SSD's, is that when you run the defragment and optimize drives program under the Windows Administative Tools program section, it automatically trims the drive instead of defragging it (defragmenting a SSD is not recommended).

HP Recommended

Hi Paul. Just a quick note to say that I have now updated the driver as you suggested.  Following your instructions it was easy to do......thanks again:smileyvery-happy:

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.