Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15-as133cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I have got two ram sticks in my laptop. When I use both the sticks at the same, the laptop doesn't behave properly. Sometimes doesn't start. Sometimes weird checkered patterns are on the screen. However, when I use one stick at a time, there is no problem at all. I did memtest on both the sticks but did not get any error. All the drivers are upto date. 

Please help.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Have you tried both modules by themselves in both slots? If the problem is when you put either stick in one or the other slot but not both, then its motherboard. That is, a bad RAM slot. You can try maybe blowing it out with compressed air to be sure something has not gotten in the socket. But bad memory slots do happen and you can continue to run the laptop with a single memory module and it will be fine. You lost a very minimal bit of performance because no dual channel operation but its not a big thing. If some other pattern is present, describe it and we can work through the issue. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer

Thank you for your reply. So far, I have tested only one slot. Woks well. I will test another slot within this week. 

Let us assume that, another slot also works fine with single RAM, then what should I do?

HP Recommended

If both slots work fine by themselves with either RAM module then you have perhaps a more unusual motherboard issue with the memory controller on the motherboard just not being able to address memory found in both slots at the same time. I doubt that will be the case but let us know. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer

The  slots work perfectly with one ram at a time. So what should I do now? Please guide me. 

HP Recommended

Then its a problem with the memory controller on the motherboard and you are less likely to be OK just running a single module. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer

After testing for two weeks, I have finally figured out that my both ram sticks are fine but one of the ram slot is faulty? Are these slots repairable?

HP Recommended

Its a motherboard problem and no way to repair just replace the motherboard. Probably too expensive to make sense. Sorry it took a while to respond but the site has been wonky for a couple days. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.